Please read about rating posts

Unanswered Question
Aug 20th, 2010
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

To All newcomers and regular visitors:

Let talk ratings. As you may or may not know there is a rating system here at the Cisco Support Community and while this may seem trivial to some it is of great use to others. Now currently there a 5 levels (Stars) and they are as follows....

1 Star - Not Helpful

2 Stars - Somewhat helpful

3 Stars - Helpful

4 Stars - Very Helpful

5 Stars - Extremely Helpful

Now this is just my opinion but I think they should be used this way, but before I get into that I want to state a few things. Please remember this is not a site where everyone answering questions is a Cisco employee, this is a volunteer involvement and the people who take the time to answer do so on their own time and with every intention of helping and giving you the best answer they know how. Also remember the level of knowledge of people answering varies greatly and you may sometimes get an answer that is not exactly correct because the person answering did not understand the question when they thought they did or may have just made a mistake, we are all learning here, please do not slam them, lets just educate them so we all learn and get better at our craft. Now with that said here is my opinion on how the ratings should be used.

1 Star - NEVER USE...this is just a slap and if you do not find a post helpful or wrong help the person understand the mistake or make sure they understand what you are asking. NEVER USE THIS RATING. If you think you need to use this level of ratings find another Support Community....just my opinion.

2 Stars - Again I don't think this level should be used. Again I go back to there could be just a lack of understanding of what you may be asking for or the person is trying to help the best they can. Believe me I don't think anyone here is trying to lead you down the wrong path or give you bad advice on purpose.

3 Stars - I think this is a borderline rating. I used to use this when I was new to the Community but I never go below a 4 and the reason for this is I feel the person took the time to help me so if the answer was just helpful I go one more and give them a 4 for their effort.

4 Stars - This in my opinion is the lowest rating I give and I only give this and not a 5 is if it did not totally answer my question but the information was useful in finding the answer on my own and they dropped out of the conversation.

5 Stars - This is the level I give most of the time. If they helped me completely with my question or even helped me down the path and they stuck with me all the way.

Again ratings are just way to recognize the person, who on there own time, took the time to help you with a problem as best as they know how. I have to tell you when I got the little star next to my name it felt pretty good, it may not be much but when you know you have helped someone it does feel good and when they let you know that you helped it makes it worth the time. This by far is the best support community out there and I thank everyone who has helped me and also those who have rated me. I continue to learn and with all your help we all can go further.

One last thing....Please try and remember to rate peoples answers and mark any correct answers accordingly. I will admit I forget sometimes but I am going to do my best to rate going forward. Also if you read through a post and you found it helpful, don't be bashful go ahead and rate the posting as well, even if it was not your questions.

Thanks for your time in reading through this.

Mike "Burleyman" or "Cross-Over Cable Guy"

Overall Rating: 4.4 (72 ratings)
Antonio Knox Mon, 08/23/2010 - 07:10
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Great post, Mike!  I think if someone feels they should rate anyone below 3, they probably shouldn't rate them at all.  There's good work going on in these forums, and crapping on people's efforts is a deterrent for continuing those efforts.  Let's keep everything on the positive, folks.  Happy Networking!

Anas Hazeen Wed, 09/01/2010 - 14:53
User Badges:

Thank you alot for this subject

you right, becusae some people take for their time to answer our Qs

so at least , we should rate for their posts

and it does not take a time

Julio Garcia Fri, 09/24/2010 - 09:07
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

i dont think cisco forums should be turned into a ratings competition like experts exchange

we should just help each other out without expectation of some picture reward.

burleyman Fri, 09/24/2010 - 12:59
User Badges:

Rob,

Thanks for your post. I agree about a competition part but I do not view them as a competition. I use the ratings as do many others to check out a thread when it has high ratings as a post that has useful information that maybe valuable to me or a solution that may help me. While it is nice to get rated and get acknowledged for your help, kind of like your Boss or peers thanking you for helping them at work, I will speak for myself, and probably many others, that is not why I post here, it is to help people and to learn more.

Thanks again and Keep posting away.

Mike

Jon Marshall Fri, 09/24/2010 - 15:50
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Mike

Nicely put +5

Rob

Your'e right, we don't want this site to become purely about ratings and that is not the point of it. It is primarily, as you say, about helping people out with their technical issues. But there is an element of using ratings to show appreciation for the help received as a lot of people volunteer their time and expertise to help others for nothing.

But as i say, i don't think any of us want these forums simply to be about accumulating points.

Jon

Julio Garcia Sat, 09/25/2010 - 00:24
User Badges:

what i dont like seeing is some help followed by a big message  at the bottom of the post saying ' 'hey! please rate me if you find this helpful at all '  , its this kind of attitude that looks bit cheap  and irritating

Jon Marshall Sat, 09/25/2010 - 03:31
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

ukglobecast wrote:

what i dont like seeing is some help followed by a big message  at the bottom of the post saying ' 'hey! please rate me if you find this helpful at all '  , its this kind of attitude that looks bit cheap  and irritating

Rob

I don't like that either which is why you won't see it at the bottom of my posts.

However I have been rated a 1 twice on this thread, as has Mike as far as i can see, merely for expressing an opinion which is just as bad if not worse. I devote a lot of my time helping people out, as do many others, and if i am given a 1 because i gave a wrong answer (see my recent post in Lan Routing & Switching) i have no argument with that but i do when i simply express an opinion which doesn't agree with someone else.

If whoever rated these as 1's could actually read and understand a logical argument, which unfortunately it seems they can't, you can see from both Mike's and my post that the primary reason we post is not to accumulate points but to help others out. Its a shame that some people don't have the same generous attitude.

I have no idea who keeps rating 1's in this thread but whoever you are when you next need help with a technical issue why don't you just hire a consultant rather than asking for help on these forums. You will find it considerably more expensive and you won't necessarily get a better answer but as you seem to have no consideration for the efforts of others it would probably be better for all concerned.

Jon

paolo bevilacqua Sat, 09/25/2010 - 04:19
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

ukglobecast wrote:

You may not like it, fact is that people routinely comes here to get free help by true professionals like Jon, sometime to the extent of doing complete designs for which they are not qualified, but being paid for.

Jon, I have rated +5 your post above to balance the idiocy of the 1 you got.

Basically, this forum saves the day for a lot of people every day, FOR FREE.

Unfortutunately, people often forget gratitude even in small gestures (we are talking about a click of the mouse here), so there is nothing wrong to remind them some good old manners.

Take a little, give a little. This a nice rule in life, try to remember it.

Jon Marshall Sat, 09/25/2010 - 04:24
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Many thanks Paolo for rating and kind words.

Jon

Julio Garcia Sat, 09/25/2010 - 15:07
User Badges:

Hi Jon,

Just want to reassure you that the only ratings i have ever given you are 5s , i think you one of the most knowledgable engineers here.

Jon Marshall Sat, 09/25/2010 - 15:29
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Rob

No problem, i didn't assume it was you and hopefully my post didn't give that impression.

Jon

burleyman Mon, 09/27/2010 - 05:14
User Badges:

Good Morning Rob,

I kind of don't like the asking for ratings thing either and I no longer put them on my posts, I used to when I saw others doing it but stopped after I thought about it. This area is always a touchy subject an there is really not an easy really good solution. I see you are new on this fourum, welcome and look forward to your helping out.

Mike

Federico Coto F... Wed, 09/29/2010 - 18:29
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Personally the reason I like posting here is because I've received a lot of help from this forum (from John just to give an example).

I have not only solved my problems but learned a lot also!

I also try to help others whenever I can ( I would like to be more knowleageble but you do what you can)

I personally like the rating when you give a helpful answer because that encourages you to continue helping since you receive the sense that you're saving other people when they are in need (just as the help that you will receive when you need it).

Federico.

Calin Chiorean Fri, 10/01/2010 - 01:10
User Badges:

Hello all,

Great post, too bad that I see it only now, but better later than never.

After reading all your comments, I just want to add a fact that is the most disturbing for me. It happens many time that I don't get ratings for my post, but that's OK, maybe my ideas are not helpful enough. What I really dislike, is that somebody ask a question, then I reply...and that's it. No "it's working", no "it didn't work for me", no reply from the person who ask that question. If any of us can spent time of their life to reply to somebody, than I consider that we deserve at least an answer to our proposed solution.

Regarding the ratings, I agree that we don't have to see then as a must, but I guess everybody remember the feeling when being a child you received a "well done" or a "star" in kindergarden for something good that you did. Now it's the same, but at different level. Ratings give you confidence that you are on the right track with your professional life and challenge you to answer to more challenging questions here in this community.

I hope you understand my point of view!

Thanks,

Calin

Mahesh Gohil Fri, 10/01/2010 - 03:37
User Badges:

Dear all,

I completely agree about rating the post. When you are rated then it gives you self satisfaction and happiness in a corner of heart that

we have done something to help others, afterall there is baby heart in everyone.

This will create enthusiam to help more and more people and to know that does my solution works or not.

I request everyone to "mark as complete" if that solution really solved your problem. this will help others to learn something from that post.

like sometimes if i have less time out of work i always see for those posts only and try to learn from them b;se i know that it is difficult to go through everypost

Regards

Mahesh

brian.furey Sat, 10/16/2010 - 21:43
User Badges:

I couldnt have said this better myself,

"Now this is just my opinion but I think they should be used this way, but before I get into that I want to state a few things. Please remember this is not a site where everyone answering questions is a Cisco employee, this is a volunteer involvement and the people who take the time to answer do so on their own time and with every intention of helping and giving you the best answer they know how. Also remember the level of knowledge of people answering varies greatly and you may sometimes get an answer that is not exactly correct because the person answering did not understand the question when they thought they did or may have just made a mistake, we are all learning here, please do not slam them, lets just educate them so we all learn and get better at our craft. Now with that said here is my opinion on how the ratings should be used."

I learn more from the CSC site then any other social forum. Folks are here to help others and i think folks should show their appreciation by rating post that are helpful.

"this is a volunteer involvement and the people who take the time to answer do so on their own time and with every intention of helping and giving you the best answer they know how"

Thank you for posting this !

George Stefanick Sat, 10/16/2010 - 21:51
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

I ditto everything you guys are saying! I know I offer hours every week surfing the forums to help out. I only hope people understand that by rating post it directs other users to quicker answers. Also it drives folks answering the questions to help out more.. I applaud each of you guys. You guys are the backbone of CSC... 

Mahesh Gohil Sat, 10/16/2010 - 22:41
User Badges:

See the power of rating a post...

do you know how great i am feeling by seeing 4votes against my name..this is the power of it and

this really  make me feel i have done something.

this is the reason people feel great when helping others and it adds some energy to help more and more people.

people say i am very honest..am i really ?

Regards

Mahesh

Actions

This Discussion