Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall capacity question

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Am doing some checks on some data sheets and am getting a little confused with some of the details.  Like for example a pix 501 where the data sheet claims support "Concurrent connections: 7,500".  I am thinking that this is two way covering all types of connection in and out the device right?  Say i have 500 users then i am thinking this would cover it, is that right?  Also, checking further i came across the bundle plans like "PIX-501-SW-10" which indicates a 10 connection limit per user. 

Hope someone can clear this up for me.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jia Liu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 'Concurrent connections: 7,500' means the PIX 501 is capable of supporitng up to 7,500 concurrent connections (in and out) of the box.  Since you have 500 users, you may or may not hit this limit since you can have users that establish multiple connections.  For the 'PIX-501-SW-10', it means the PIX 501 is bundled with a 10-user license, which only supports up to 10 concurrent source IP addresses from your internal network to traverse through the PIX 501.  The license basically places a restriction on the number of connections you can have.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jia Liu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 'Concurrent connections: 7,500' means the PIX 501 is capable of supporitng up to 7,500 concurrent connections (in and out) of the box.  Since you have 500 users, you may or may not hit this limit since you can have users that establish multiple connections.  For the 'PIX-501-SW-10', it means the PIX 501 is bundled with a 10-user license, which only supports up to 10 concurrent source IP addresses from your internal network to traverse through the PIX 501.  The license basically places a restriction on the number of connections you can have.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card