Bandwith utilasation on dual band AP's

Unanswered Question
Aug 22nd, 2010

If a single band AP with 2,4 GHz radio and N-standard wireless can utilize approx 300 Mbps, does that mean that I can utilize approx 600 Mbps on a dual band AP with N-standard ? Or is there any limitations in the hardware, making maksimum throughput from both radiomodules simultanously to ethernet less than 600 Mbps ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Sun, 08/22/2010 - 15:21

does that mean that I can utilize approx 600 Mbps on a dual band AP with N-standard

Nope.  You can only go UP TO 300 Mbps HALF-duplex.

Or is there any limitations in the hardware, making maksimum throughput from both radiomodules simultanously to ethernet less than 600 Mbps

I'm not sure if you are aware that WiFi is like a hub:  One talks and everyone else listens.  It's is the design.
Kjetil Fleten Sun, 08/22/2010 - 15:58

Those 300 Mbps half duplex must be pr. radio-module, right ? If not, why should anyone want a dual band AP ?

I know that wireless is like a hub, but two radio-modules should act like two separate hubs. The question is if we can imagine those two "hubs" interconnected by an internal "switch" so that our througput to ethernet would be 600 Mbps half duplex ?

How should we understand "Option 3" on page 2 of this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/product_at_a_glance0900aecd805df476.pdf ?

Actions

This Discussion