cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI related confusion

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all experts. I am new to this telecom world and usually had discussions with my friends working on different vendors (avaya, cisco). Most of the time, alot for concepts went way above my head when they talk about UAN numbers, Master numbers mapped to PRIs, multiple (virually unlimited numbers) can be mapped to PRIs etc. I have done search on google but i am not able to get any of the above concepts anywhere :-( may be my search phrases are not correct. I know its too irrelevant to this forum but i would be grateful if some one can help me out and point me in the right direction as to where i can get these service providers core concepts beyond the PRI signalling type that is discussed in Cvoice etc. Since many of you are telecom experts, i hope you can help me with it. Pls dont mind my request but basically i am not looking for direct explanation above concepts but rather resources where i can learn above and more.

Thanks alot, pls guide me

11 Replies 11

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

This might help you to understand DID/DNIS: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00801142f8.shtml

You may need to ask more specific questions to get better help.  ISDN, PRI, numbering plans, telco, etc. are a large field of knowledge to grasp just as IP, routing, switching, etc. are.

Good luck,

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Dear Brandon,

thanks alot for answering. But you see, this is what i am confused about. Where to learn these concepts from ? like if i ask you, how to learn routing or specific technology in routing, you can refer me cisco docs, cisco press books, blogs etc. As you can see, i am looking for real world explanation of the concepts i am not able to find anywhere but they do exists !!, so do you know of any books or blogs or sites that explains these real world PRI related issues in details like what is the master number, how UAN numbers work and all.

I hope i cleared my question :-(

Where did you hear of these terms, "UAN numbers, Master numbers"?  I have never heard these terms.  A Google search reveals UAN numbers seem to be unique to Pakistan.

I would try search terms such as "telephony" "basic telecom" "telecom 101"

I found this book that seems pretty comprehensive.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qZUnWDrWfugC&lpg=PP1&ots=EspdsD9T8n&dq=telecom%20101&pg=PA9#v=onepage&q&f=false

Good luck,

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Dear Brandon,

Yes you are right, i have heard these terms here in Pakistan. But i am sure there are similar concepts like, how many numbers can actually be mapped to PRI, and so on. I know i am sounding a bit confusing, but just wanted to know :-(

As Brandon mentioned above (rated), if you want to learn, study. And ask specific questions when you have them.

It does not make sense to ask too generic questions. However to answer to the one of today, there is no limit whatsoever to the number that can be mapped to a PRI:

Dear p.bevilacqua, As usual you misunderstood my question. I wasnt asking generic question, i wanted to learn the source where i could find the answers. I wanted the right direction that will help me find the answer to my previous queries. I have wasted enough time on learning how PRI works, but couldnt find a single book or site that explains how telco sell these pri's and how they actually work.

Thanks to brandon, but it didnt solve my query.

As usual you misunderstood my question

You made my day. Now go above and read my reaply again.

I am afraid with this attitude, you will need more than just studying to succed. Good luck.

Yes and you spoiled mine. There are great many experts who understand what the user is trying to ask, and not like you, just poking your nose when you dont have the proper answer. I am always helped by jonathon, aaron and ofcourse others and i respect them more then anyone. But to earn respect, you better treat others with respect. In your case, my humble request (that i made earlier also) kindly stay away from my posts. I dont need your replies or answers. I hope this will clear the matter.

Verbose, unreasonable, belligerant.

Not sure if networking is the right field for you. Again good luck, you will need it .

I dont think i will be needing your wishes to succeed, thats why always emphasized to stay away from my posts. Anyway, replying to any of ur replies would be further waste of time for me.

See ya

Guys, guys, guys...  Arguing on the internet is like Celebrity Jeopardy - even if you win you're still an idiot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: