Views
Helpful
Replies

SCCP or SIP ?

Andrewkai
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have 2811 Router running cme and cue. 4 analogs phones are connected to cme using ATA.

Can individual ATA port be configured to SIP instead of using SCCP?

Any comment would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pn the CME side you would have a dial-peer pointing to the phone running SIP or H.323

Please excuse the nitpick, Aaron.

No dialpeer is necessary. Instead, the phone is configured as SIP phone, a frequently asked questions here on this forum.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

espereir
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Andrew,

You can load either SIP or SCCP firmware on the ATA, however, both ports are going to register with either Skinny or SIP; I am not quite sure what do you want to acomplish with this, could you please elaborate a little bit?

Thanks and BTW, here is the ATA 186 datasheet: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps514/ps515/product_data_sheet09186a008007cd72.html

HTH

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With SCCP, you can configure the ATA as if they where ephones. SO, the analog phones will enjoy the full CME features, dua

l lines, call waiting, conference, Feature Access Codes, and other.

With SIP, you will have nothing of that, just very basic analog numbers, not really integrated in CME.

I have one non-cisco phone and would like to test with Cisco CME.

But cannot register with CME when I connected that phone to CME using ATA.

Do I need to configure ATA port to support SIP? OR

How can I get that Weatherproof Phone to work with Cisco Voice System?

Thanks,

Andrew

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andrew

That phone that you linked is an IP phone itself.

ATA = Analogue Telephone Adapter. You don't have an analog phone, so you don't need an ATA.

That IP phone supports SIP or H.323, so you'll need to read the manual on how to configure it; on the CME side you would have a dial-peer pointing to the phone running SIP or H.323 depending on how you choose to configure it.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

pn the CME side you would have a dial-peer pointing to the phone running SIP or H.323

Please excuse the nitpick, Aaron.

No dialpeer is necessary. Instead, the phone is configured as SIP phone, a frequently asked questions here on this forum.

I used the following tutorial but unluckily cannot register non-cisco phone with cme.

I got this error"channel not found" when I use non-cisco ip phone and got another error"registration error:408 request time out" when I use xlite.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/774-sip-endpoints-in-cisco-communications-manager-call-manager-express-x-lite.html

Your kind help would be much appreciated!

Cheer!

Andrew

Hi Guys,

I can manage to register xlite with my CME but cannot register with another sip non-cisco phone.

I can see the name and phone number form the LCD display but there's an error called "UNKNOWN NUMBER". Any idea?

Thanks for your kind support!

Andrew

CME#sh voice register pool 1

Pool Tag 1

Config:

Mac address is 0050.C26A.50B4

Number list 1 : DN 1

Proxy Ip address is 0.0.0.0

DTMF Relay is enabled, sip-notify

Call Waiting is enabled

DnD is disabled

Busy trigger per button value is 0

keep-conference is enabled

username xlite password xlitetest

Transport type is udp

service-control mechanism is not supported

registration Call ID is NGVjODIzMTJjMzQwYmUxODZmOTEzMjBhOTgxNDllNGE.

Privacy feature is not configured.

Privacy button is disabled

active primary line is: 600

contact IP address: 192.168.42.35 port 52598

Dialpeers created:

dial-peer voice 40001 voip

destination-pattern 600

session target ipv4:192.168.42.35:52598

session protocol sipv2

dtmf-relay sip-notify

codec  g711ulaw bytes 160

after-hours-exempt   FALSE         

Statistics:

Active registrations  : 1

Total SIP phones registered: 2

Total Registration Statistics

Registration requests  : 3

Registration success   : 3

Registration failed    : 0

unRegister requests    : 1

unRegister success     : 1

unRegister failed      : 0

Someone on here may be able to help you get this working, but just an FYI that non-Cisco SIP phones are not supported to CME via registration.  IF the phone can act as a proxy instead of a UA, you can configure it as a SIP trunk to CME, though.

So if you run into any issues on these phones, you won't get support from TAC or development.  Just a heads up.

sholl wrote:

Someone on here may be able to help you get this working, but just an FYI that non-Cisco SIP phones are not supported to CME via registration.  IF the phone can act as a proxy instead of a UA, you can configure it as a SIP trunk to CME, though.

So if you run into any issues on these phones, you won't get support from TAC or development.  Just a heads up.

Thanks Steven! I also hope someone can help me.

I think this non-cisco phone can act as a proxy instead of UA because this phone was tested in other country and it worked with CME.

Sincerely,

Andrew

Hi Guys,

The end of the day I could manage to register non-cisco phone with CME usig SIP.

All you need to do is that you have to understand the boot process of ip phone and concept of how ip phone talks to CME.

And again the following document is very useful for me..

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/774-sip-endpoints-in-cisco-communications-manager-call-manager-express-x-lite.html

Thank you guys for involving in this discussion.

Also thanks to Netcraftsmen.net. Great job Bill.

Cheer!

Andrew

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ah yes, good point Paulo(+5). I tend to work with CUCM far more than CME, and have rarely had to use SIP phones with CME.

But the main point is if it's SIP/H.323, then an ATA won't be much use.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: