WAP2000 fails WDS and roaming

Unanswered Question
Aug 23rd, 2010

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has successfully used WAP2000 access points.

I'm particularly disappointed with these device:

Hardware Version:1.0
Software Version:

I set two of them up with exactly the same wifi security settings, same channel and WDS, one of which is a repeater (MAC addresses correctly set).

Whenever I turn the repeater station on, the wireless supplicant not only doesn't extend it's coverage but if it's within the AP's outer range then it LOSES its connection with the AP. It's as if the wrieless repeater "jammed" the connection. I tried just about every possible setup and came to the conclusion that WDS does not work with my WAP2000 devices.

I don't even "require" WDS to work if at least a decent roaming could be done. So I setup 2 WAP2000 as 2 APs with exactly the same wifi security settings and different, non-overlapping channels (same SSID). Roaming *should* be fairly quick but it lasts between 30 and 50 seconds!

I replaced both WAP2000 APs with older WAP54G APs (same settings) and roaming is "fast" (less than 3 seconds!).

So on one hand I'm demonstrating that roaming does NOT depend ONLY on the client side and that APs can be the culprit.
On the other hand, I'm also showing how bad the WAP2000 product is (it's more expensive than the WAP54G but is completely unreliable).
No wonder there are so few references on the web to the WAP2000 device.
"Cisco" isn't as good as it sounds (I know it's "small business" but it's still Cisco).

If someone here has had a similar experience and has found a solution, please let me know.

Otherwise, I'm definitely not going to value the "Cisco/Linksys" brand as well as I did in the past.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

This Discussion