Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport block multicast is missing on Cat 6500

a.shaik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My 6509 is running IOS release 12.2.18SXF12a. I want to use a function that permits to block unknown multicast traffic on some specific ports. This could be done via "switchport block multicast" command. But this command is not availlable on my IOS. Only "switchport block unicast" is present.

After having a look on command reference guide of SXF release, I noted only "switchport block unicast" is documented.

But command exists in configuratuin guide of release 12.2.18 SXF.

Also, this command exists for Cat 4500 since 12.1.19 EW.

Before opening a new SR to Cisco, I want to know if anyknown has this issue on Cat 6500 and please share with me if you have any documents or answers from Cisco to support this command for Cat 6500.

Thanks

Shaik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I tested this in the lab, and see it missing in 12.2(18)SXF12, and see the feature present in 12.2(18)SXF14.I know that this feature was missing from the 6500 platform for a long time, and it was added relatively recently.

Router(config-if)#switchport block ?
  multicast  Block unknown multicast addresses
  unicast    Block unknown unicast addresses

Router>sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ENTSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Hope that helps,

Bobby

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Shaik,

I just checked the command reference for SXI release.  It does not mention anything about this command, but I was able to apply it to a port on a 6500 with no problem.

So the command works fine on the switches, but it is missing from the command reference guide.

HTH

Reza

Hi, Shaik

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/blocking.html

Catalyst 6500 Release 12.2SXF and Rebuilds Software Configuration Guide shows switchport block {unicast |multicast} is available.

KK.

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I tested this in the lab, and see it missing in 12.2(18)SXF12, and see the feature present in 12.2(18)SXF14.I know that this feature was missing from the 6500 platform for a long time, and it was added relatively recently.

Router(config-if)#switchport block ?
  multicast  Block unknown multicast addresses
  unicast    Block unknown unicast addresses

Router>sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ENTSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Hope that helps,

Bobby

Thanks Bobby for tests you did. I can't do it my 6509 was under production.

I will test after upgrade.

Regards

Shaik

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card