Helpful
Replies

ucs kvm - connection failed

reni.popara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I run into problem with kvm.

When i try to run kvm console i get "connection failed" , but i manage to connect once from 10 times.

I have "Managament IP Pool" and i can see assigned ip addres to my blade server.

Is someone have the same issue ?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

To correct this issue with CICM access (KVM), make sure the Management IP Pool(ext-mgmt) is within the same VLAN and subnet as the FIC IP's. CICM access is provided over the MGMT 0 and 1 interfaces on the FIC's and not from the 10GB uplinks.

View solution in original post

I encountered this problem yesterday.  Make sure that you decommission the blades before reseating them.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Remi,

Provide the following info

What are the following details for your FI-A, FI-B and VIP:

IP Address

Mask

Gateway

- Do you have this connection issue from other clients?

- What version UCSM are you running?

- What is the upstream connectivity? (Switch type, connecitvity - Port channel, VPC etc)

As the Mgmt Interfaces will proxy your KVM connections to the BMC (KVMs) there's likely some mis-conifg somewhere.

Robert

I have

$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_75"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_75-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode)

And security settings should be as per attached

stanibarb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Reni,

I am experiencing the same issue with the kvm. As far I know this is known problem among other vendors also. I cannot tell what exaclty the problem is but is related to the kvm hardware itself.

The workaround which I am using it to reseat the blade server or located in different chassis's slot.

Stanley

josh.dunigan
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem as well.  I currently have 1 machine that is affecting only me.  It can only be accessed maybe 1/50 times...however I can access any of our other 21 machines no problem.  Other users have sporadically seen the error but a retry gets them in no problem.  We currently have B200-M2s.

To correct this issue with CICM access (KVM), make sure the Management IP Pool(ext-mgmt) is within the same VLAN and subnet as the FIC IP's. CICM access is provided over the MGMT 0 and 1 interfaces on the FIC's and not from the 10GB uplinks.

one solutions is to go to start>control panel>java>

on the general tab click network settings and select direct connection.

after this go to general tab, and temporary internet files, select view and erase those old connections. then go to settings and erase files.

I encountered this problem yesterday.  Make sure that you decommission the blades before reseating them.

Marek,

Your fix for the JAVA settings is what fixed the issue for me. Thank you for posting !

Marek Slabej wrote:

after this go to general tab, and temporary internet files, select view and erase those old connections. then go to settings and erase files.

This fixed my issue.

Changing the Network settings under Java as it was set to browser settings and my browser is using proxy as per our company settings.

Thanks mate!

after  this go to general tab, and temporary internet files, select view and  erase those old connections. then go to settings and erase files.

Thanks!

Thanks for that hint. This fixed my issue: I got disconnected when  the blade was rebooted and I could not reconnect quick enough to mount  the ISO image before the system leaves the POST.

dani_bosch
Level 1
Level 1

I'm installing a new UCS system with the 2.0 UCS Manager version, and getting the KVM "Connection Failed" error message some times. When I reset the blade, the KVM works properly, but after X successful KVM connections (or after X hours...who knows) I get the "Connection Failed" KVM message again...and it persists till I reset the blade one more time.

I'm running JAVA 1.6.0_21

Any one experiencing the same or having any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Dani,

Are the failures all to the same blade or multiple?

Does the connection fail from multple clients (while it's in a failed state)?

Next time it fails, can you enable the Java logging terminal (from Control Panel - Java), and paste the session log here.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

We have tried from several different clients, but no success. We have 2x B-250M2 with vSphere 4 installed on local disks and 2x B-200M2 without any OS. Failures occur on both the B-250M2 blades and do not seem to occur on the B-200M2, though that should not be a fair conclusion, as we constantly try to access KVM in the B-250M2's, but we don't in the B-200M2's (I somehow suspect the failure triggers after X succesful attempts to get to the KVM).

Following you can find the Java log. It is what says when the failure occurs...actually, the failure is not blinking but permanent..till the moment one resets the blade.

Java Log doesn't seem to help a lot:

Java Web Start 1.6.0_26

Usar versión JRE 1.6.0_26-b03 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM

Directorio local del usuario = C:\Users\dcamps.IPMCTL

----------------------------------------------------

c:   borrar ventana de consola

f:   finalizar objetos en la cola de finalización

g:   liberación de recursos

h:   presentar este mensaje de ayuda

m:   imprimir sintaxis de memoria

o:   activar registro

p:   recargar configuración de proxy

q:   ocultar consola

r:   recargar configuración de norma

s:   volcar propiedades del sistema y de despliegue

t:   volcar lista de subprocesos

v:   volcar pila de subprocesos

0-5: establecer nivel de rastreo en

----------------------------------------------------

Could not launch from cache. Will try online mode. [Some of required resources are not cached.]

-- parameters --

kmport=2068

vport=2068

apcp=1

version=2

sslv3=1

autoEof=0

user=__computeToken__

passwd=57083892027303183566091

tempunpw=true

ip=10.1.1.176

title=UCS / Chassis 1 - Server 3 - KVM Console

helpurl=https://10.1.1.174/ucsm/help/content/kvm_vm_help.html

Adding Frame Listener because is temp user [__computeToken__]

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.nuova.centrale.core.log4j.NuRollingFileAppender).

log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

10/17/2011 12:18:48:931:  Connection failed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: