Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec VPN through ZBF

tjd2112pcca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am porting the config from a 1841 that had a L2L IPSec VPN setup with a Sonicwall peer. This 1841 had a CBAC firewall on it as well. We are retiring this router and moving the VPN over to a 1941 router with a Zone-based firewall. How do I set up the ZBF to allow this IPSec VPN tunnel? Can I use VTI when connecting to a non-Cisco host (Sonicwall)? Right now there are only two zones setup (inside/outside).

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Jitendriya Athavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

well since you have only 2 zones it makes life much easier , you dont have to worry about permitting esp and isakmp traffic in zbf

now since you have 2 zone have the following configured for ipsec vpn

zone-pair out-in

match acl - remote end network to my end network

action inspect

zone-pair in-out

match acl - my end network to remote end network

action inspect

i would suggest use 15.0 code and later whenever you are implementing zbf it has better support for zbf

And not configured a self zone. If you do u will have to permit esp and udp 500 basically. You will neet to create 2 zones from Out to Self and another one from selft to Out to PASS  Esp

The new router has two interfaces to the internet via two different providers. Can I run CBAC and all the VPN traffic on one public interface and zone-based on the other internal client serving interface? I have read that you can mix CBAC and ZBF together.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card