cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1000 or Catalyst 6500, best device for "WAN Aggregation" device?

nmackovski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would appreciate your feedback regarding the best choice for a WAN Aggregation device.

I have a total of 10 large branch connections, each WAN connection is 100Mbps (EPL) back to the DC.  We are looking at DMVPN as a solution for the cloud.

It is probably safe to assume the Catalyst 6500 has more performance and the ASR has more features.  Another significant component is device cost.

All your comments are welcomed... thanks.

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Nmacosky,

>> I have a total of 10 large branch connections, each WAN connection is 100Mbps (EPL) back to the DC.  We are looking at DMVPN as a solution for the cloud.

100 Mbps per link and you would like to use DMVPN?

get an MPLS service L2 or L3 VPN unless you are required to perfom encryption end to end (finance or goverment) if you don't need encryption you can use less expensive hardware.

However, here are the data sheets:

ASR 1000 comes with its ESP co processor and can handle the expected load up to ESP 20

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-450070.html

A C6500 needs to be equipped with appropriate additional linecard for example SIP actually a specific SSC 600 with VPN SPA see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/data_sheet_c78_492120.html

up to 2 VSPA for each SIP 600 and maximum 10 VSPA per chassis one VSPA  (8 Gbps per VSPA)

you would need a new C6500 chassis with Sup32 or Sup720 or VS-sup720

it may be expensive in comparison to ASR.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Just my 2 cents...

I'd go with the ASR, I think it's probably more appropriate for the enterprise edge in both hardware and feature availability. The fact that you are looking at DMVPN makes me inclined to believe you are working with multicast over IPSEC dependencies (and so you need the tunnels), is this correct?

What protocol will you be running underneath DMVPN?

-Jeremy

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NPE-G2, and the IPsec HW module

Cheaper, and effective.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In additin to Giuseppe's comments and since you don't need 10Gig interfaces the ASR is a good choice.  I have use them as hub site routers for IPSEC/DMVPN. You would need to use IOS XE with ASRs. 

Good Luck,

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd agree with Paolo.

Cheap:  7200 VXR with NPE-G2, hardware encryption module, GE cards

Nice-to-have (aka future proof):  ASR 1000

(+5) to y'all!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card