WVC210 configure multiple cameras on together on LAN

Unanswered Question

Hello,

I purchased 2 cameras to be used for our business location. They were both configured individually for wireless access to a router in our LAN which then connects via DSL modem to WAN. They are also configured to use separate HTTP ports (one is 1111 and the other 2222). I can successfully browse to camera IP on either individually but not when both are on at the same time. In this scenario, one of the cameras will simply flash the red LED and is not reachable (the green connection, either wired or wireless does not light) while one is successful and I can connect. If each one is connected to a separate router then they both work but the client Web browser needs to switch between network connections (using a laptop connecting wirelessly for this). The documentation states that this mode should be supported but I need some way to address the evident conflict this pair of devices have when on the same same subnet together.

Alan

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Glenn Quesenberry Tue, 08/24/2010 - 06:30
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Alan,

Are the cameras configured with static IP addresses or DHCP via a local DHCP server?  Also are you attempting to access them from outside of the local network, say via the Internet via a dynamic DNS provider like "DynDNS" or something?  These answers will help me to better understand your situation.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for responding. My configuration has one camera with fixed IP and the other with DHCP...the fixed IP one seems to be "dominant" in that when they are both starting up it can get on the router while the other fails. Yes, I also set up DynDNS with my username and password for the free service. Again, the fixed IP one is accessible via a DynDNS host I set up from the Internet (which works great although the audio is pretty choppy). I didn't try the other since in order to get to it I needed to connect to a second router without WAN access.

Alan

mpyhala Tue, 08/24/2010 - 19:47
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Alan,

This is an interesting issue you have. Please try the following:

1. Set up the second camera with a static IP that is different than the first and in the same subnet. Make sure that the Default Gateway is the router.
  2. Connect both cameras to the router wired and wirelessly and see if they function properly.

I have two WVC210's set up with the following configuration: (Wireless)

Camera 1:

Static IP: 192.168.1.210

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (My router IP)

Primary DNS Server: 192.168.1.1 (My router IP)

http port: 1210 (Setup> Advance Setup) (Port 1210 forwarded to 192.168.1.210 in the router)

Camera 2:

Static IP: 192.168.1.211

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (My router IP)

Primary DNS Server: 192.168.1.1 (My router IP)

http port: 1211 (Setup> Advance Setup) (Port 1211 forwarded to 192.168.1.211 in the router)

I am able to access the cameras locally: http://192.168.1.210:1210

And remotely: http://mydyndnsurl.net:1210

If you set up the cameras using the above settings as a guide and still have issues, please call Cisco Small Business Support at 1-866-606-1866 for further troubleshooting.

When you resolve the issue, please post a reply here and let us know what the solution was. Thanks in advance!

I resolved the issue and think the root cause being that the cameras were named the same. However, another source of issues was that it looks like the router name is case sensitive. Anyway, thanks for the tip on using the fixed IP and it was very helpful to know it should work.

I have another question but will create a separate post.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Alan

mpyhala Wed, 09/01/2010 - 14:26
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Alan,

Thanks for the update! I never even considered that the names might be the same. This is good information for future reference.

Yes, I had two routers labeled 'Salon01' and 'S

ALON01' and it took me awhile to notice the case sensitivity...it's a Unix thing. Anway, hate to impose on you kindness

but my other post was about running the cisco video

software under WIndows 7 and getting 'resource not found' error on the main console. Care to make any suggestions?

Alan

Actions

This Discussion