cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.04 VM to Unity 7.x UM -best approach

kiru
Level 1
Level 1

what is the best approach to take to upgrading this customer from unity 4.x voicemail only to unity 7 unified messaging on a new server?

15 Replies 15

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From a migration perspective, 4.0(4) is the limiting factor.  So, if you are building a new server and expect to "migrate" data then here's what you have:

1) Upgrade 4.0(4) to 4.0(5)

2) Once you are on 4.0(5), you can use the COBRAS migration tools to export the Unity data that you want to migrate

3) Build the new Unity 7 server (fully, integrated with AD, Exchange, etc).

4) Depending on the version of Exchange (i.e., if you are using 2007 or higher) then you will need to create the Subscribers on the new system in advance (i.e., import only with this version of Exchange)

5) Use COBRAS Data Viewer to map old Unity alias to new alias (if needed)

6) Build out Unity components that cannot be migrated (see COBRAS help file)

7) Use COBRAS import to import the Unity 4x data and choose to overwrite the existing Subscriber data (i.e., the users are already created if on Exchange 2007)

Note, if using Exchange 2003 then COBRAS can create all the objects as usual.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

cant i use DiRT and migrate subsriber data tool?

If you are using a new server, DiRT would be quite a bit of extra work.  You would have to build the server to the exact same version of Unity 4.0(4) including ES releases as the old server.  Then you would need to do a DiRT backup and restore to the new server.  Then you would end up having to do an in-place upgrade/rebuild of the new server to get to 7x.  So, I wouldn't consider that a very good option.  Migrate Subscriber Data tool would never enter the picture as you'd be restoring the old system to a new server...that tool is for the systems within the same AD domain.

Hailey

they are on exchange 2007 so what do you mean by this?

4) Depending on the version of Exchange (i.e., if you are using 2007 or higher) then you will need to create the Subscribers on the new system in advance (i.e., import only with this version of Exchange)

With Exchange 2007, Unity cannot create Subscribers. It can only import. This is a known limitation and is outlined in the design guide for Unity. So, when you build the Unity 7x system you will need to ensure all of the Unity subscribers have an AD account and Exchange 2007 mailbox created on the corporate AD. From there, you would import them into the Unity 7x server as new subscribers.

You then use COBRAS Data Viewer to map old Unity aliases to new Unity 7x aliases.

When you import data from COBRAS, aliases will then match and you can overwrite the subscriber data to import old settings (passwords, greetings, etc).

Read up on COBRAS via the Help File on www.ciscounitytools.com.

Hailey

Hi David,

We have a similar scenario with 4.0.3 VM to be upgraded to 7 full UM on a new HW.

with Exchange 2003..please will you elaborate on the steps?

many thanks

R

Steps are very similar, see below:

1) Upgrade 4.0(3) to 4.0(5)

2) Once you are on 4.0(5), you can use the COBRAS migration tools to export the Unity data that you want to migrate

3) Build the new Unity 7 server (fully, integrated with AD, Exchange, etc).  Grant Unity the right to create AD users, exchange mailboxes, distribution lists, and etc (since you have Exchange 2003).

4) Build out Unity components that cannot be migrated (see COBRAS help file)

5)  Use COBRAS import to import the Unity 4x data and with the proper permissions, COBRAS/Unity can create objects with the proper permissions (see 3 above).

Hailey

reza aminzaboli
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for the reply.

is there any video training/presentation going through the steps?

many thanks

For the actual Unity work such as upgrading to 4.0(5) and the install of the new system, no videos there - the best training is years of on the job experience with not only Unity but also AD/Exchange.

For COBRAS, yes there are some videos and other info specific to it's usage:

I have a tech presentation that focuses on migrating to Unity Connection but you can still review it to get a feel for what COBRAS is like (export/import is similar in either case):

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/user-group/c-mug-archive/824-cisco-unity-connection-migration.html

Make sure you read the COBRAS Help File. A lot of people skip this for whatever reason and then they pay for it. Read it, know it - BEFORE moving forward:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm

Training videos for COBRAS here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/COBRAS.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!!!

Hi David

I checked your presentation and it was excellent. appreiated!!!

I belive for now the best thing to do isto put everything on VMWARE. Can I run Unit 7 on a LAB vmware ? is there any consideration?

R

You can run Unity for lab purposes on VMWare.  I currently have both version 5 and 7 in my lab and have deployed in various scenarios:

1) Unity/Exchange/AD on same box (performance was a bit slow)

2) Unity w/Exchange 2003 and AD off-box

3) Unity w/Exchange 2007 and AD off-box

You'll just need to use a commercial copy of the Windows OS for your install and you should be good to go.

Hailey

Hi David,

So if i want to use ESX or VMWare client there is no consideration like RAM, Harddarive etc? just a valid 2003 MS server?

Reza

Well, I always try to stick a standard build for my lab machines.

Technically, Unity 7 is supported for production use in VMWare so if you

really want to know actual production specifications you can obtain that

documentation easily from cisco.com. BUT, for lab purposes this is what I

do:

2 GB RAM (you can do less but Unity will perform poorly - and I mean poorly)

72 GB HD (do not allocate all of the space at once - let it grow as it

needs)

I always partition a C and D drive at a minimum. I keep the OS on a C

partition of 12-16 GB (your choice) and partition the rest for Unity as D:

That's it. I use VMWare Server 2.x in my lab.

Hailey

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 5:12 AM, reza.aminzaboli <

Do the unity 7 DVDs from cisco include demo licenses for Unified messaging etc?

R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: