Views
Helpful
Replies

ONS 15454 LOS-O minor alarm problem

hiepnguyenho
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody, wish you a nice day!

I have 2 ONS 15454 at 2 site in linear mode.

ONS 1 (side A) -------- line 1 -------- ONS 2 (side B)

ONS 1 (side B) -------- line 2 -------- ONS 2 (side A)

3 days ago, I got the LOS-O alarm. I have followed the instruct from troubleshooting guide but could not clear this alarm.

Here is the site view:

site view.jpg

(In this firgure, dont care about side A, my trunk line is cut . The problem is on side B, it pops some minor alarm but the connection is still ok)

ALARM:

You can see that there are: SPANLEN-OUT-OF-RANGE and LOS-O. The problem is the power on line RX on OSC-CSM card is below the configured threshold, right? I have monitored the power and the value is -19.5 dbm.

Then I go to Provisioning --> WDM-ANS --> side B --> Rx --> Threshold.OSC LOS is imported as -23.5 dbm.

I also checked the span loss, the measured spanloss is 15.2 (resolution 1.5). It is between the Min exp span loss (15) and Max exp span loss (17).

So what is the problem, please help me to clear this alarm. Thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are right. the alarm is shown as the power is below the threshold.

If we have OSC LOS threshold set to -23.5 and the total Rx power is Rx power is about -23.5 (on the 40 km span) then we definitely below the threshold as we need to subtract the payload power from the total to get OSC.

Average loss on a fiber is 0.3dB per km, hence the expected loss on 40km would be around 12dB. I doubt the OS Tx power on the remote end is -11dBm (-23 + 12) so most likely that is the fiber/connector issue.

Swap Line Rx and Tx fibers on both switches on OSC-CSM card to verify if the problem follows the fiber or stay with the cards.

Regards,

Alex.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

hiepnguyenho
Level 1
Level 1

/PS:

When I sit on node 1, I can measure span loss. But when I site on  node 2, I can not. So is there any big problem here? Thank you.

may you attach following screenshots?

OSC-CSM --> Provisioining-> Optical Line -> Parameters

OSC-CSM --> Provisioining-> Optical Line -> Optic Thresholds (Chose Alam and click Refresh)

Hi Alexei,

I'm sorry for late. I'm being on bussiness trip so I can not onsite at my customer. But when I showed Parameters and Optic threshold tab on OSC card, the result is like this:

- Parameter: the Rx power is about -23.5 (on the 40 km span)

- Optic threshold: the value on Line Rx and Line Tx is N/A.

Note that the Rx power on side B (the other side of this node) is -12 dbm. So may be the problem is very low Rx power? Thank you very much.

You are right. the alarm is shown as the power is below the threshold.

If we have OSC LOS threshold set to -23.5 and the total Rx power is Rx power is about -23.5 (on the 40 km span) then we definitely below the threshold as we need to subtract the payload power from the total to get OSC.

Average loss on a fiber is 0.3dB per km, hence the expected loss on 40km would be around 12dB. I doubt the OS Tx power on the remote end is -11dBm (-23 + 12) so most likely that is the fiber/connector issue.

Swap Line Rx and Tx fibers on both switches on OSC-CSM card to verify if the problem follows the fiber or stay with the cards.

Regards,

Alex.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: