Views
Helpful
Replies

2801 throttles problem

dm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We run cisco 2801 connected to catalyst 3560 with Fa0/0 and to another router with Fa0/1 and sometimes (often enough- once per 2-3 weeks) we have following problem:

there are much throttles on fa0/0 , users complains about bad connectivity, fragmented packets do not pass.

Only way to solve problem we found is to reload 2801, even fa0/0 shutdown/no shutdown doesn't help.

There also several other 2801 with almost the same configuration, but connected to catalyst 4500  or 2960, there is no such problem.

Could you tell me what can it be? How can we find what is wrong?

Thank you!

6 Replies 6

narainarun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the "show interfaces" output do you see any other counters increasing along with throttles like input drops/no buffers etc.

If you find no buffer counters increase along with throttle then you could look for buffer tuning in routers. You can also confirm this by "show buffer" commands. Also check for any speed/duplex changes between the router and the connecting device.

refer this url for buffer tuning: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a00800a7b80.shtml#buffer_tuning

HTH

Arun

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should update IOS, as anything that requires a realod to restore an interface, is a bug.

Aftter that, we an llok again at the interface, if there are trhottles again.

dm
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunaltely, we already run latest 12.4T...

Can be very bad anyway, recommend mainline, 15.0(1)M3 or switch to anything else for a test anyway..

OK, I think so too- this is IOS bug, we tested several versions, including 15.0

(M2, afiar) and always the same reslut.

Looks like bug is not fixed yet :-(

So I need workaround :-)

Hard to believe is a bug , but if it is, you shoudl contact the TAC for problem re-creation.

Send show run, show interfaces, show buffers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco