NGS Sponsors authentication does not work in case user has non-English character in his password

Unanswered Question
Aug 24th, 2010

Hi,

we are using the NAC Guest Server v 2.0.1 and have Sponsors authentication done through Radius servers. Radius servers are Microsoft IAS using AD.

Sponsors user authentication works okay in case user's password includes English characters, but does not work in case an user uses national characters like for example Umlauts in German.

On Radius server I can see these error messages:

User XXXX was denied access.

Reason = Authentication was not successful because an unknown user name or incorrect password was used.

As soon as an user changes his password and uses English characters only, it resolves.

I guess this might be that NGS uses different coding while sending a password to Radius server, but not sure.

Appreciate if anyone knows a root cause and what could be a workaround. Unfortunately our AD policy allows users to use national characters and we can hardly change it. So a change on NGS or Radius side would be more viable.

Many thanks for your help.
I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
vladakoci Fri, 09/10/2010 - 02:55

A case has been opened at Cisco and it is now quite clear that it is a problem with coding.

According to Cisco development team NGS uses UTF-8 coding to send the password, of course encrypted, to the Radius server. This cannot be changed within NGS. We use Radius Microsoft IAS Version 5.2.3790.3959 running on VMWare Windows 2003 SP2. More tests are scheduled to be performed.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network