MCS Sizing & Analog Licensing

Unanswered Question
Aug 24th, 2010

I have a customer that is interested in installing 3 MCS7825-I4. He has 600 IP Phones and 1000 analog devices that are attached to FXS ports across 300 sites. That is a total of 1600+ devices. I have 2 question, I couldn't find an answer to:

1. Does the analog phones count against the total phone capacity of the MCS7825 HW which is 1000 phones. I'm pretty sure it considers the ports on the VG2XX analog devices, but what I'm not clear on is the actual end user analog phones connected to FXS ports.

2. Do I have to purchase licenses for phones connected to FXS ports, or will I have to purchase licenses for actual analog ports on VG2XX and ATAs or both.

Please advise.

Thank you.

T. Muhammmad

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Matthew Kaufman Fri, 08/27/2010 - 05:41

As far as I know, analog ports do count against your device capacity.  You would want to include these numbers when planning for the size of your cluster and server capacity.  There is a great section in the UC SRND that discusses this in detail, I think its worth a read.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/callpros.html#wpmkr1043870

As for device licenses, you will definitely want to discuss this with your account team, but you can get an idea of the DLU's certain devices will use by looking on the actual CUCM page.  System -->Licensing --> License Unit Calculator.  In this case, if the ports on a VG device count as an analog phone, those devices according to this page in CUCM 7.1.3 use 0 DLU's.

Remember, it is always a good idea to plan for future growth as well.  Be sure to take that into account when selecting your systems.

Hope I helped!

--Matt

Actions

This Discussion