cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco signature update site down?

Todd Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

I just noticed that I haven't been getting my daily updates since Sunday.  I get the following error:

AutoDownload Job Report:

No files available for download.

Error: Unable to communicate with locator service to retrieve available files.

Has anyone else seen this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dustin Ralich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This seems to be an intermittent problem, becoming more visible today (not sure if it was occurring prior to today). If you urgently need a signature update file, for now (as a workaround), you can manually download the file from here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ipsmc-ips5-sigup

And, place it in the CSCOpx\MDC\ips\updates directory on your CSM (Cisco Security Manager) system.

If you have time, if you could let us know what www.cisco.com resolves to on your CSM system. ? This may help confirm/track down the source of the issue. You should be able to do this from a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) on the CSM system using the nslookup utility. Example:

C:\nslookup www.cisco.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dustin Ralich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This seems to be an intermittent problem, becoming more visible today (not sure if it was occurring prior to today). If you urgently need a signature update file, for now (as a workaround), you can manually download the file from here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ipsmc-ips5-sigup

And, place it in the CSCOpx\MDC\ips\updates directory on your CSM (Cisco Security Manager) system.

If you have time, if you could let us know what www.cisco.com resolves to on your CSM system. ? This may help confirm/track down the source of the issue. You should be able to do this from a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) on the CSM system using the nslookup utility. Example:

C:\nslookup www.cisco.com

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the update.

The nslookup resolves to the following:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    origin-www.cisco.com
Address:  72.163.4.161
Aliases:  www.cisco.com, www.cisco.com.akadns.net
          geoprod.cisco.com.akadns.net

You're welcome Todd . Thank you for providing that output. As an alternative workaround (vs. manually downloading a signature definition update package file), you could also probably temporarily add a static entry for www.cisco.com to the WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (on the CSM system). Example:

198.133.219.25 www.cisco.com

NOTE: A reboot of the CSM system (or, at minimum, a restart of the Cisco Security Manager Daemon Manager service) may be necessary for CSM to pickup on the static entry. Also, I wouldn't recommend this workaround (vs. simply manually downloading a signature definition update package). But, it may be an alternative option for you.

George Johnston
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting the same error

nslookup www,cisco.com

Address:  72.163.4.161

Try flushing the DNS cache on your server

H:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

H:\>nslookup www.cisco.com

Address:  198.133.219.25

Yep, tried that but flushing it didn't work for me

Well that stinketh.  I am getting my updates now.  Looks like it's either static host entry or manual download..

skogut123
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like Cisco has resolved the issue.  My CSM system was able to download files late yesterday (8/25/10) afternoon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: