UCCX 8.0(2) agent hot desk

Unanswered Question
Aug 24th, 2010

I need to provide a way to allow agents to hot desk with UCCX 8.0(2) without using extension mobility.   I need to allow an agent to sit at any Contact Center phone and log into CAD and specify the extension that they're sitting at (with the same agent id each time that user logs in).  I do not want to configure an EM profile for each agent.   Whenever I try this, I get an error in CAD that specifies the agent is not assoicated with that extension.   If I change the IPCC extension under the user account in CUCM, I do not get the error.   Obviously, I do not want to have to change the IPCC extension under the user's account every time they log into a different phone.   Any ideas how I can do this?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Aaron Harrison Tue, 08/24/2010 - 10:46

Hi Glenn

You need to assign a unique, non-shared line per agent. You have to assign this on the end user page, and agents cannot log in to different extensions.

The bottom line is that the easiest way to do this is via EM.

Other options might be :

1) Use CIPC; even with that you would essentially have a static phone but you could potentially update the 'name' of the CIPC at login via a script to fiddle it

2) Have common accounts rather than unique agent accounts (i.e. users 1234 is linked to ext 1234 which is sat on that desk).

Obviously use of CIPC has drawbacks and complexities, and the second option would lose lots in reporting terms.

EM is how it was intended to be used... doing otherwise in a hot desk environment is asking for pain.

Please rate helpful posts...

glenn.martindel... Tue, 08/24/2010 - 14:08

Thanks for the reply.   I assumed that was going to be the answer but was trying to avoid having agents log into both EM and CAD.   Seems kind of silly to me that you have to specify the extension in CAD during login when that's the only option the agent has.

Aaron Harrison Tue, 08/24/2010 - 14:31

I agree completely.

I'd sooner keep the three item auth (user/pass/extension) but have the flexibility of logging in any old extension... but it is what it is. Feature request?

Or go back to the 3.x option where CAD could operate as an all-in-one softphone and agent app.

slawomir.daleszynski Sun, 02/17/2013 - 07:10

You may more likely try to write a script which logs in the agents to CIPC with a single click.

I've written such recently - did it for other purposes but....it enforces agent to provide his/her DN number and, basing on that, exchanges the Device Name of the CIPC into the desired Device Name - the same which is configured in CUCM for this particular agent. For me it was SEPXXXXXXXXXXXX, where X is the mac address.

Then the script launches CIPC with the proper DN logged in.

Result: Agents remember only their DNs and run single batch file to log in to the phone. Very useful when, for some reason, you do not want to use EM.

I used it for coworking CIPC, NICE recorder and the hot desking agents in CC in order to not making agents to remember their device names in a form of SEPXXXXXXXXXXXX. Who knows the case with NICE maybe also knows what I'm talking about:) Anyways - it works perfectly.

This Discussion