Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 to replace HP4204vl for InterVLAN Routing/QoS and Fiber Connection

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I got a network environment using HP network switches and Cisco routers for our WAN connections and for connecting to one of our ISP (Got 2 ISP). Got a couple of buildings connected by fiber back to server room 1. We got 2 server rooms connected by fiber and we employ HP4204vl switches on these 2 server room. So far we have 13 VLAN's and they are configured statically, some routed by the HP4204vl in the server room 1 while some are routed by our firewall (smoothwall) in server room 2. Not all VLAN's propagate to the buildings. Some VLAN's on server room 2 doesn't propagate to other connections in our campus. QoS is also employed to cater for VoIP between server room 1 & 2

We are in the process of procuring 2  Cisco 3750 for the purpose of replacing the function of the HP4204vl in server room 1. These 2 3750 will be stacked  and we are going to distribute our server connections to the stacked switch. We are also going to add in a couple more VLAN's but not propagating to the HP ethernet network to cater for our storage network. These 2 x 3750 switches will be deployed at the server room 2. Basically our server room 2 will be acting as our main server room with this change

I need help with the following:

• Stacked configuration
  • InterVLAN configuration. What is the best approach I should take so that I have a smooth transition from HP4204vl doing the inter VLAN routing to the Cisco 3750 doing the main routing. Any configuration example would really help. In terms of connecting Cisco to HP
  • Cisco fiber module - I need advice as to which fiber module I need to procure so that I can connect the Cisco switch at server room 2 back to the HP switch at server room 1. Am currently using HP Procurve Gigabit LX-LC mini-GBIC for fiber connectivity between server room 1 & 2 using HP4204vl
  • QoS for VoIP connectivity between server room 1 and server room 2

I can provide a drawing depicting the current and what we want to achieve with the addition of the Cisco 3750's. Hope someone helps

5 Replies 5

Thanks Dipesh. Would you be able to give me the right part number of the fiber module that is compatible with the HP module that is currently in use at my server room 1. The document is a bit confusing to me. Anyway, this is what I have at the moment Gigabit-LX LC mini-GBIC (J4859B, J4859C) on my HP switches. Just need the part number for the one that I have to procure for the Cisco switch that will be compatible with the HP one as my fiber connectivity between the server room will be connecting to the Cisco switch now

Do you have anywhere any configuration example between Cisco and other vendors like HP ?

Thanks anyway for the links

utawakeyou,

I'm sure Cisco has a document for integration with HP, however I am able to find the HP one's quickly.

www.g33k.de/blog/wp-content/hp-cisco%20trunking.pdf

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/ProCurve-and-Cisco-STP-Interoperability.pdf

Thanks,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. This really helps

Just need help for the part number for the fiber module that I need to procure for the  Cisco 3750 switch that will be able to interconnect the Cisco 3750 to the HP4204vl via fiber. Currently using ProCurve Gigabit-LX-LC Mini GBIC on my HP4204vl

Hope someone helps

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card