cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software support for EOS switches

AdenGunston
Level 1
Level 1

I am confused about software support for EOS/EOL switches.

The recent EOL notice for the 3750 switches contains the following statement:

End of SW Maintenance Releases Date:
HW

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

July 5, 2011

However, the Product and Services End of Life Policy states:

Software support will be as follows

1. For the first year following the end-of-sale date, we will provide bug fixes, maintenance releases, work arounds, or patches for critical bugs reported via the TAC or Cisco.com Web site.

2. After the first year and for Operating System SW -where available- we will provide bug fixes, maintenance releases, workarounds or patches for a period of 4 years for operating system software. Bear in mind that it may be necessary to use software upgrade release to correct a reported problem.

3. After the first year and for Application SW -where available - we will provide bug fixes, maintenance releases, workarounds or patches for a period of 2 years for application software. Bear in mind that it may be necessary to use software upgrade release to correct a reported problem.

Given that the End of Sale date for the 3750 is July 5 2010 how do points 2 and 3 above fit with the statement in the EOL notice.

My concern is purely ensuring that we have support to address security issues etc until the hardware is replaced.

Aden

2 Replies 2

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not a lawyer and not tried to argue with the term here. If you read this line

"-where available- we will provide bug fixes, maintenance releases,  workarounds or patches for a period of 4 years for operating system  software."

From my understanding, if there is a security issue and if a workaround is provided/available, you have to use that work around because there might not be a maintenance release software for the End of SW Maintenance product.

HTH,

jerry

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Aden,

Just ignore 2 and 3, they are referring EOL for software (IOS,IOSXR...). For hardware EOL, just look '1'. The  End of SW Maintenance Releases Date is July 5 2011.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card