Views
Helpful
Replies

G711 local calls and G729 between branches

ichehouri
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

i have one main site and i am planning to have 300 branches. i want to have G711 codec to be between phones when they call local and G729 over the WAN. I have unity server on main site serving main site users only and i have CUE on each branch to serve each branch.

all my branch users will be registed to main site where i have centralized call processing (CUCM cluster).

if i have to create one region for each branch and each branch will contact the other branches then it will end up with 300 relationships for each region

please advice what is the recommended way to have G711 localy and G729 over the WAN

regards,

Ibrahim Chehouri

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I can't personally speak on the performance issues of how many regions you add, but at least from a configuration standpoint all you

do is set intra-region to g711, and then have the default between regions (enterprise service parameter, I think) set to g729.  So from a configuration perspective it isn't too bad.

I don't see any other options though.  You're right, that you'd need transcoders at every site if you did g729 intraregion.  If you had all of your subscribers on Unity at the HQ, you could get by with a transcoder farm all located at the HQ site and use this solution.

-Steve

View solution in original post

Yeah, it's actually a service parameter:

Intraregion Audio Codec Default
Interregion Audio Codec Default

FYI, if you are turning up 300 branch sites, you may want to consider looking into Cisco Unified Provisioning Manager.  You can probably talk to your account team more in regards to if that would fit your business needs.

-Steve

Hi

That's default - inter=g729, intra=g711/g722

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

9 Replies 9

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't see a way around this, since you want g711 intra-region.  You will need to have each site in it's own region, so that you can set the site to 711 inside the region, and 729 between.

If you were okay with g729 intra-region, then you could get by with 1 or two regions set to g729 for everything.

CUCM should be fine with that many regions, though.  You can use something like BAT to add all the regions.  Each remote site is likely going to need it's own CSS and route patterns anyway, right?

-Steve

you are right Steve i need a region in each site but in this way i will require also a device pool for each site and i have to have a region relationship between each and every site. In this case each site will have full mesh relationship so if i have 320 branches i will have a region for each branch and inside each region i will have 320 relationships so it will end up with 320x320 = more than 100, 000 ?? (is this Ok and scalable and can be handled by the call manager?

if i want to use G729 for intra-region traffic then i will face the issue for transcoding resources for the unity express since each local user will utilize the transcoding resources when communicating with voice mail. keeping in mind that the other regions will also communicate with the CUE in case they are forwarded to the voice mail for the reason of forward no answer or unanswered call

yes sure each branch will have its own CSS and route patterns but this will not exceed 6 CSS and 6 Route patterns for each branch so i will have about 2000 CSS and 2000 route pattern

regards,

Ibrahim Chehouri

I can't personally speak on the performance issues of how many regions you add, but at least from a configuration standpoint all you

do is set intra-region to g711, and then have the default between regions (enterprise service parameter, I think) set to g729.  So from a configuration perspective it isn't too bad.

I don't see any other options though.  You're right, that you'd need transcoders at every site if you did g729 intraregion.  If you had all of your subscribers on Unity at the HQ, you could get by with a transcoder farm all located at the HQ site and use this solution.

-Steve

if there is a way to set the default inter region traffic to G729 through Enterprise service parameter then this will be very helpfull and will make things simpler. are you sure there is such parameter?

ibrahim

Yeah, it's actually a service parameter:

Intraregion Audio Codec Default
Interregion Audio Codec Default

FYI, if you are turning up 300 branch sites, you may want to consider looking into Cisco Unified Provisioning Manager.  You can probably talk to your account team more in regards to if that would fit your business needs.

-Steve

Hi

That's default - inter=g729, intra=g711/g722

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

thanks Steve and Aaron for the info. just to summary the result of this, i do not need to create any region relationship for intra and inter site since the default parameters under service parameter already fits my requirement (G711 intra and G729 for inter). All i need to do is to create Device pool for each site and assign the region for it.

please correct me if iam mistaken

regards,

Ibrahim

Yup.

Ahmed,

Cisco CUCM is not designed based on inter-branch. Its not aware of branches, it is designed based on region relationships and thats what this post is about. Your branches can be in the same region or different region..and region settings will determine what codec is used.

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: