Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote-in-use, check who's using it

kkhanis
Level 4
Level 4

Hi guys,

Would anyone have an idea of an easy way to check what device is offhook or using a DN that is a shared line between a few phone devices?

Situation is that user tries to go off hook on his line, (he has privacy enabled) and is not able to because it says Remote-in-use, which means someone else is using his line. He will be able to see that it is in use because its red, but is there some way to check which phone is actually using that line? something on the back end maybe?

Regards,

Kamran

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your system and version please ?

sorry, forgot that bit of detail. It is 7.1.3.32900-4.

Regards,

Kamran

My understanding of shared lines is that these either are meant to be a way of answering calls from multiple phones (call coverage only), or sometime in a boss/admin setup where is clear at all time who is using that line if you are not.

In eithe cases, the best way to provide outgoing calls, is using a non-shared, unique DN on each phone.

So I would say, if you have set shared lines for outgoing (primary DN), and there are so many phones so that you can't know who is using it, you are using the feature the wrong way and the problem is a consequence of the wrong approach taken.

Thanks for the reply p.bevilacqua,

That is exactly how we are using it for. It is possible that the primaryn person is on the phone when a new call comes in, which is then picked up by a person with that shared line. After getting off the phone, you will still see that line in use but would not know who is actually on it. From an end-user point of view, maybe they want to ping the person and ask them to transfer that call back if they knew who is actually on that line..

Hope that explains.

Regards,

Kamran

Ok, still seem to me the problem is poor office organization in which people is racing to take call without coordination.

I see that happens often when customers insists on shared or blast hunt groups. They think these are a good idea when in fact these are not.

However, I think if you setup BLF for the involved phones, you will be able to see who is busy and have an indication.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: