Level 1

Does anyone now how to block iphone apps i.e. facebook over

Wi-Fi

3 Replies 3

Allen P Chen
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

If the iPhone is connected to your network via Wi-Fi, then it should be assigned an IP address in your internal network.  Therefore, you should be able to block access to particular websites using any type of URL filtering service.

If you have an ASA with the CSC-SSM, you can use the URL Blocking feature to block access to specific websites.  You can also use the URL-filtering feature to block similar websites (social networking such as facebook, myspace, etc).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6823/index.html

However, the iPhone user can simply turn off Wi-Fi and switch to 3G to access any site...

Hope that helps!

I can block the url facebook.com but the facebook app on the IPhone still has access.

Hello,

I just tested this on my CSC-SSM with my iphone behind the module.  If facebook is configured in the module for URL Blocking, then the facebook app does not have access to any updates.  You will see existing posts under Newsfeed, but you will not be able to pull down new posts.  Likewise, you will receive the "Connection Error" when accessing other sections within the facebook app (Profile, Friends, etc).

In looking at the captures on the ASA, the facebook app makes outbound attempts on port 80 (HTTP).  So the CSC-SSM should be able to block it just fine.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card