Views
Helpful
Replies

Machine & User Authentication With Windows 2003 IAS

rkoudmani
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I wonder if you can help.  I have setup a PEAP authenticated WLAN system using Cisco LWAPP / WLC with authentication being controlled through Windows 2003 IAS.  All is working well but I want to make this setup more secure.

At present non-domain machines can get onto the network as long as the user has an AD login e.g. access can come in through the users work laptop or their own i-PAD. I would like to be able control the users and the machines at the same time.  Is this possible?  I can work my way around IAS but am not a Windows AD type guru so go easy on me    I have heard that this may not be possible with Server 2003 but maybe with Windows Server 2008 and its NPS equivalent of IAS does anyone have any experience with this?  Ideally I would love to get it working on the current 2003 setup.

Many Thanks

RK

3 Replies 3

Hi

I've been trying to find information about this aswell but with using NPS from Windows2008 as the base rather than Windows2003. Did you ever get this to work?

Br

Arnvid

Yes this is possible what authentication are you using at the moment, is it PEAP or EAP-TLS, EAP-TLS you will need to provide machine certificates with PEAP its pretty straight forward.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/ultimate-wireless-security-guide-microsoft-ias-radius-for-wireless-authentication/6148579

NPS is pretty much the same NPS should be pretty easy to follow

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Rasheed,

Please mark the Question as Answered, if the provided information by Pete is correct and it helped. By doing that others can take benefit as well.

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager – Wireless

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: