Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1811 - Reload Issue

munawar.zeeshan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some 5 branch sites. All are having cisco 1811 being used for VPN connectivity. The IOS details are as below.

Cisco IOS Software, C181X Software (C181X-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

There is a strange issue. Once during a day VPN tunnels get failed and for this i need to restrt the router. After restrt things goes fine. (VPN tunnel config are ok).

Can any body plz advice me wht the issue may be? It this any known Software bug ?

Any further troubleshooting guidelines?

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have you looked at the logs before rebooting the router to see if there is a specific error message?

Reza

The device log had captured the reboot messages.  There was a CiscoWork start/stop process to initiate this reboot.

I think its not related to in this case ?

How about login via telnet and capturing the log on the router before reboot?

In addition to the good suggestion from Reza I have a few questions and suggestions:

- does it happen on a regular periodic basis (perhaps every 24 hours, every 4 hours, or some time period like that)? Or does it happen randomly?

- one thing that might cause the tunnels to go down is a lack of interesting traffic. Have you attempted to generate interesting traffic from the local LAN to the remote LAN and from the remote LAN to the local LAN (ping or something else depending on the access list that defines traffic for the VPN)?

- when the tunnel is not working can you access the router? If so it might help to get the output of these commands:

show crypto isakmp sa

show crypto ipsec sa

- when the tunnel is not working can you access the outside interface of the remote router? Can you ping it or traceroute to it? Can you telnet to it or SSH to it?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: