Managing WLAN contollers

Unanswered Question
Aug 26th, 2010

We have a wirless network set up with a 2100 series controller at the main site that monitors and manages 22 AP's at present time spread out over 3 sites via a WAN utilizing a DSL internet setup at the main office.We have a private ssid with wpa2 security and authenication for travelling users to connect to thier data and also an open ssid for internet coverage for guests.

This is working but we are adding wireless internet traffic over the WAN with limited bandwidth and will soon outgrow the 25 max APs.

Was wondering....Can we put a controller at each site that manages the APs per site, utilizes a seperate dsl line per site, uses same ssids, and can all be managed by controller at main office.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dancampb Thu, 08/26/2010 - 12:49

You could put a controller at each site to manage the AP's and just configure the same WLAN on each controller.  As far as managing all of these, you would use a WCS, not another controller.

misha_bac Sun, 08/29/2010 - 00:09

I think H-REAP and some kind of 4402-50 (4404-100) is your option, because it's always better to have only one management point. WCS and bunch of controllers is nice also, but loses in management effort in my opinion. But it's matter of taste I think.

This Discussion