cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Press Line Button for Dial Tone

John Powell
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to make a 7942 not go off-hook on the first line when the hand set is lifted?  In other words, I want the user to be forced to press a line button before getting dial tone.

CUCM 7.1.3

7942G

Firmware SCCP42.8-5-3S

Thanks,

John

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is the parameter you need to change

Understand and Configure the Always Use Prime  Line Service Parameter

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080874d8e.shtml

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Javalenc---According to documentation, the Always Use Prime Line is a system-wide parameter even though there is an option on the phone configuration.  So if I change that setting on the phone configuration page, the first line is selected when going off hook.  Documentation says "Always Use Prime Line is a system-wide service parameter. It can not be set or over-ridden on an individual device basis."

Unfortunately, I cannot change this parameter for the entire system as it will affect 1000+ phones when I only need this feature to occur on a handful of phones.  But it baffles me that Cisco even has the setting on the phone configuration page and won't allow you to change it on an individual phone!  Come on Cisco!

Another work-around?

Hi John,

Just an added thought here.....the Tech doc that Java linked is based on

CCM 4.x, I believe the ability to override the setting on a set by set basis

was added with the release of CUCM 6.1(3);

Always Use Prime Line

Tip The information in this section does not exist in the online help for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration or in any other Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(x) document besides the release notes.

Description

After you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, when the phone is idle (off hook) and receives a call on any line, the primary line gets chosen for the call.

Tip To configure the Always Use Prime Line feature in previous releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you configured the Always Use Prime Line service parameter for the Cisco CallManager service. In Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(3), you can configure the Always Use Prime Line setting for devices and device profiles.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Configuration Tips

When you configure this feature, going off hook makes only the first line active, even when a call rings on another line on the phone; that is, the call does not get answered on that line. In this case, the phone user must choose the other line to answer the call.

For more configuration considerations, see Table 2.

GUI Changes

The Always Use Prime Line for Voice Message setting displays in the following windows in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

•System > Service Parameters (for Cisco CallManager service)

•Device > Phone

•Device > Common Phone Profile

•Device > Device Settings > Default Device Profile

•Device > Device Settings > Device Profile

Tip If you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in the Service Parameter, Common Phone Profile, and in the Phone Configuration window, Cisco Unified Communications Manager uses the configuration from the Phone Configuration window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucmbe-rel_note-613.html#wp471834

I'm not actually sure if this will give you the desired behaviour, but i thought I'd throw this in anyway

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob...

To clarify, what I am trying to accomplish is not related to a ringing event.  When the phone is in an idle state and the user picks up the handset, I do not want the primary line to be selected and play dial tone.  I want the user to have to choose a line before the phone goes active.  In other words, I want the phone to almost behave as if there is no primary line: ie if I place a DN on the second line and have nothing configured on the first line, the user picks up the hand set and nothing happens (as far as the end user is concerned).

Thanks for your quick responses!  All help is greatly appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: