Antenna Questions for the Wireless Gurus

Unanswered Question
Aug 27th, 2010

I am reviewing a design for a Hospital Campus environment with approx. 400 "1252AGs".  These APs have the AIR-ANT2430V-R (for 2.4GHz) and AIR-ANT5140V-R (5 GHz) antennas installed in them.

But, here is the kicker.

Checking their configurations in WCS I noticed that they are all configured for the AIR-ANT2460 (2.4GHz) and AIR-ANT5135D-R (5GHz) Antennas?

My question is, what are the effects toward the client if the wrong Antenna is selected in the configuration?  According to the configuration, if those antennas are selected, they are non-MIMO.  Is there a good way to test the effects of not having the correct Antenna configured?  I do have the Cisco Spectrum Expert.  I'm looking for ways to test for MIMO too if possible.

I'm also checking to see if MIMO functionality is related to software level.  I am planning to upgrade the environment to 6.x or 7.x in the future, but would like to know if MIMO is availabily on 4.2.  I do know that Client Link/ Beamforming does not look to be available on the 4.2 release.

I am also looking for a way to run a report that shows the Antennas configured per AP.  Right now I have WCS/WLC 4.2.207.0 and have not found a way to do it.  If anyone does know, I would appreciate it.

Regards,

-Rick

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Fri, 08/27/2010 - 17:30

I am planning to upgrade the environment to 6.x or 7.x in the future

If you are using 1250, then stay AWAY from 6.X and difinetly don't even touch 5.X.  Go to the 7.X.
r-tyrell Sat, 08/28/2010 - 09:22

Yeah I heard 5.x is not worth going too.  I'm thinking of upgrading straight to 7.x, otherwise I have to upgrade twice just to get to the 6.x Assurewave tested release.

Thanks,

-Rick

Leo Laohoo Sun, 08/29/2010 - 15:28

If you are running "4.2.173.0 or later 4.2 release" then "You can upgrade directly to 7.0.98.0."

Just make sure you upgrade the boostrap while you are at it.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content