Views
Helpful
Replies

hi guys: does SIP trunk uses dsp resourses

hamid ghani
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys : now a days service provider  gives SIP trunk for 500 did's

i configured SIP trunk for 500 DID's/DOD's its working fine but i want to ask that like T1/E1 does SIP utilizes dsp resoures because it is coming on ethernet not any E1/T1 or FXO card.

4 Replies 4

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you only need DSPs when going from analog or TDM to IP, or if you need to transcode the call from one audio codec to another.  If you can ensure from your design that you aren't going to have codec mismatches, there should be no need for DSPs in your environment.

Although without local DSP resources (at remote sites) software-based conferencing can be a real bandwidth hog.

EDIT (changing answer: thought this was in response to another post): I agree that you probably want some DSPs local to the remote site for conferencing if you don't want media traversing your WAN, but that's kind of outside the scope of this question.

You'd need to find out what types of conference are done (more than 3 parties? between sites or just local?) to figure out a good design for that, and whether you need a HW conference bridge at all, and if so, if you want one at the remote site or not.

Message was edited by: Steven Holl

Sorry, I'm just being nitpicky.  I was worried that the uninformed may take your first post out of context and unilaterally apply it as the gospel, erringly believing that the only two instances where you would ever want to scope DSPs are TDM termination or codec translation.  Taken in context of the question I agree 100%! (rated)

sholl wrote:

No, you only need DSPs when going from analog or TDM to IP, or if you need to transcode the call from one audio codec to another.  If you can ensure from your design that you aren't going to have codec mismatches, there should be no need for DSPs in your environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: