Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP pruning

dennisv99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm studying on the 642-813 exam and i can't get a clear anwser on the floowing question about VTP pruning

(see picture attached)

The certification guide states that broadcasts and unicast floodings on a vlan are blocked on trunks to switches which doesn't have interfaces in that vlan.

The picture shows broadcast traffic send from host A to host B. Why is this broadcast traffic passed along switch 2 which doesn't have interfaces in the Red vlan?

thanx in advance

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dennis

Assuming host A connected to switch 4 and host B connected to switch 1 and host A sends packet to host B.

VTP pruning works in a chain so to speak. So if host A and host B are in the same vlan then switch 2 cannot prune that vlan because switch 1 and switch 4 both have hosts in that vlan. If switch 2 pruned the vlan then host A would send the packet to switch 4 but then switch 4 could not forward it on to switch 2 and therefore the hosts would not be able to communicate.

That is what i mean by a chain ie. switch 2 is an intermediary switch in the chain from switch 1 to switch 4 and both switch 1 and switch 4 have hosts in the same vlan so there will be no pruning on switch 2 for that vlan.

If switch 1 did not contain a host in the same vlan as the host on switch 4 then switch 2 could indeed prune the vlan.

Jon

Hi John,

Thanx for the swift reply.

It still isn't quite clear to me.

If i understand it correct vtp pruning works by a switch sending a message to a neighbouring switch if it has ports in a particular vlan. If it doesn't the neighbour switch prunes that vlan on the trunk to that switch.

In the drawing switch 2 doesn't have ports in vlan Red so to my logic switch 1 and switch 4 should prune vlan Red on the trunk to switch 2 because switch 2 does not advertise it has ports in vlan Red.

And what if there were more switches between ie switch 1 and 2 that also don't have access ports in vlan Red?

Dennis

If there were more switches in between then they 2 would not be pruned. Think of it like this -

switch 2 cannot send a prune message to switch 4 until it knows there are no downstream switches that have members in that vlan. If switch 1 did not have any members in that vlan and because there are no downstream switches connected to switch 1 it can send a  prune message to switch 2. Switch 2 could then send a prune message to switch 4 because it too doesn't have any ports in that vlan (other than trunk ports that is).

However because switch 1 does have a member port in that vlan then it does not send a prune message to switch 2. So switch 2 knows that switch 1 has connected host in that vlan. So switch 2 does not send a prune message to switch 4 because it knows it needs to forward packets for that host to switch 1.

That is what i meant when i said it was a chain.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

It's perfectly clear to me now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: