Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity Between Avaya s8800 and Cisco switch 4500 Heavy Packet loss

inshu.inshu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have two Avaya servers s8800 connected to the cisco switch with the port speed 100 and duplex full on both sides. I have the connectivity to the server from the switch.

But I did notice that there are heavy packet loss occuring when I ping from the switch to both servers.

I also have three G450 gateways connected to the switch , it gives me a ping response of 99% (which isnt acceptable) still better than the servers.

Hence I checked for the errors on the switchport and found there to be increasing CRC and INPUT ERRORS on all the interfaces which are connected to the Avaya devices. We have a VLAN allocated for VOICE on our network and all our switch ports are configured as access ports to access the VOICE VLAN.

I did try changing the cables , result was the same with almost 35% packet loss.

I did try changing the ports on the switch end , it was the same.

I did clear the counters and checked for the errors it was increasing though.

Here I will paste the few outputs below, please advise a way from your expertism so that I can get this run smoothly.

ping 10.20.8.10 re 100

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 100, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.20.8.10, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!! .!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!

!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!

Success rate is 67 percent (67/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/20 ms

sh int gi 3/6 | i errors

33 input errors, 13 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

sh int gi 3/5 | i errors

115 input errors, 14 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

sh int gi 3/8 | i errors

679 input errors, 143 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

Kindly help.

Thanks,

I

1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It may well be that the speed/duplex is not set as you believe it is. I haven't had much to do with Avaya before, but I recall at least one model had an internal switch which other Avaya components attached to, so the Avaya engineer (who generally tend not to be 100% with networking skills) may have set the speed/duplex on a different port to the one that you are physically attaching to your switch.

Either way, I would set the switch port to auto/auto, and see what it negotiates. If the far end is actually set to 100 Full, it should negotiate 100 Half (as the negotiation of duplex fails, and the switch port will sense the 100Mb speed anyway).

If it negotiates 100 Full, then you know that the Avaya is set to auto negotiate.

Clear the counters and monitor them after you run your ping test again after making the change.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: