cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys SRW2048 : Fiber Optic Help

phil.poole
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find an answer to a problem.

I am helping a campus that uses 10+ SRW2048 Switches around campus. They are currently connected by Fiber Optic but through Media convertors then Etherner into each SRW2048 Switches. To my assumption dumbing down the speed to 1000mb/sec (right?). They plan on installing extra Fiber Optic between the buildings to help with growth and enhance the speed of the existing network.  I am sure, I can connect the fiber directly into the switches, eliminating the media convertors and the ethernet connectors (more speed and one less device to worry about).  I have been scouring over message boards and reading manuals with little help.  So, here are my questions:

1.  Can I connect the fiber optic lines directly into the SRW2048 switches using their mini-GBIC ports, instead of going to a media converter then to ethernet line?

2. What is the maximum distance between switches connected?  Just making sure.

3. What Hardware would I need to complete this? (see below)

4. What do I need to do software wise? I read on on forum page, logging into the switch, I read you have to turn off the Auto-detection (or something like that) because that only works for Ethernet.

From my understanding it is completely doable but I am getting many different answers and to work 100%.

I assume I have to purchase one type of the following:

Which one is the best to use?  I assume NOT to use #3, that just looks to be another Fiber to Ethernet connection. That's not exactly what I want.

The fiber lines are terminated by ST Connectors and that is about all I know about them. I assume, I just plug the ST connection right into the GBIC Transciever?  I believe they are "6 core" and there are 3 separate lines coming from each building.  If you need more information about the Fiber line, I am sure I can find out.

I hope to think someone who knows these answers really quick.  I just need direction to resolve this painlessly.

(I really need to learn this stuff!)

Thank you in advance.

2 Replies 2

phil.poole
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I found this is doable but I need to use LC connectors instead of ST Connectors.

So, I am on track, but still need the other questions answered.

Is anyone there?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: