cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRST Mode - Cannot see "Line Text Label"

Kumar Vishal
Level 1
Level 1

When the phones go in SRST mode., we dont see the line Text label on the individual lines but only the extensions.

Does the "Line Text label" feature work in SRST?

Please suggest.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kumar,

Sadly, Line Text Labels cannot be preserved in SRST mode

Take a look at Page 57 in attached doc;

Attachments:

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kumar,

Sadly, Line Text Labels cannot be preserved in SRST mode

Take a look at Page 57 in attached doc;

Attachments:

Cheers!

Rob

brendand05
Level 1
Level 1

AFAIK it is not possible

Hi

You can probably get line labels working by using CME-SRST rather than old-fashioned SRST. In that mode you can store the lines as ephone-dns in the configuration, and apply more configuration to them than is automatically done with SRST. You would obviously have some more maintainance to do, but if it's a fairly static site that's not really a problem.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

CME as SRST is an administrative nightmare for anything but the smallest and most static of sites.  Avoid its use if at all possible!

Nah, it's much better. It really depends how you use it.

If you use 'srst mode auto-provision none' it effectively works pretty much like old SRST, except you have the flexibility to preconfigure some DNs so that their config can include hunt groups, pickup groups or whatever else is important.

If you use 'srst mode auto-provision dn' you can fail to SRST, allow it to store just the DNs, and then you can add hunt groups and so on to the config.

If you use 'srst mode auto-provision all' then it remembers MAC addresses along with DN assignments, which is typically where people go wrong.. that breaks any EM users that have moved by the next time the WAN fails, requires maintenance if you replace phones, and so on...

So it's not a case of avoid using it; it's use what is needed. If you need proper configuration flexibility, use CME-SRST, if you just want basic service in a failure you can get away with old SRST.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Yeah, it's handy for sure but I'd say that for an enterprise environment the advantage stops at the phones "remembering" all their DNs and speed dial settings.  The more service you guarantee during an outage the more work you duplicate for your change management processes.  For a deployment of scale I'd say the expectation should just be set with end users that SRST is way better than any other "failover" scenario they've had with previous phone systems and leave it at that.

Besides, do you really want to take time away from figuring out why your WAN went down in the first place to install a pickup group?

Of course not; you would have the pickup group configured in advance if it's important... and since the remote office can now continue to work reasonably normally you don't have them all callling you to tell you that their pickup group doesn't work any more.

Mre often than not the 'previous system' is a PBX, which normally means a remote site would have had a stand-alone system that in general is extremely reliable and not dependant on the WAN at all.

I fully understand what you are saying though; each environment is different. Bottom line is that if you want features that old-SRST doesn't have, you use the new style.

Aaron

I agree completely.  After all, I'm just a button-pusher - all I can do is present options' pros and cons to a customer (whether internal or external) and know the right buttons to push after they made the decision which way to go.

Sorry to hijack the thread!!!

Hi Philip

It is a discussion forum - the whole point is to get the benefit of other people's experience and opinions.. so it's not hijacking, it's contributing, and your opinions are absolutely welcome :-)

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: