Level 5

Hi  every body

Let say  one  isp  has two customers,  company 1 and company 2

isp assigns  10.0.0.0/8  to company 1

isp assigns   10.10.0.0/16  to company 2

isp  router has  the following route;

c  10.0.0.0/8  directly connected S1

c  10.10.0.0/16   directly connected S2

Let say company1  subnets it 10.0.0.0/8 as 10.10.0.0/16 and  one host gets the address 10.10.10.10

let say host 10.10.10.10  sends the ping packets  across the internet to  some node.

Here is my understanding.

1)  company 1 router connected to ISP ,  receives the ping packet and forwards it to isp.

2)  Isp  forwards the packet and eventually packet reach the destination.

3)  echo reply will be sent to host 10.10.10.10 as destination  address.

4) ISP receives the echo reply  with destination 10.10.10.10.

5) Since the look up will be performed on the longest match, ISP  router forwards the echo reply packet out of S2.

The result is host 10.10.10.10  will not receive any echo reply as it  is located in company 1 , accessible by isp router's  s1

is my understanding correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

You are correct.  The longest prefix is always matched first for a forwarding decision.  In our scenario the 'company 1' host would never see the echo-reply.

I would hope an ISP wouldn't allocate a /8 to one company and then allocate a subordinate /16 belonging to the original /8 to another company.

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

You are correct.  The longest prefix is always matched first for a forwarding decision.  In our scenario the 'company 1' host would never see the echo-reply.

I would hope an ISP wouldn't allocate a /8 to one company and then allocate a subordinate /16 belonging to the original /8 to another company.

Chris

Thanks Chris and have a good day.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card