cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless broadcast domain size

Randy Ethridge
Level 1
Level 1

What is the largest suggested broadcast domain that can be used in a wireless lan using 6509's with wism controllers? We are a university and we have issues with students pulling ip's with their mobile devices because their wireless is turned on thus depleting our ip space.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bring down the lease time.  I'm not familiar with the size of your student population but I guess you reserve, say, /20 but you configure /23.

We have around 11,000 students. We have one /22 wireless lan that a two hour lease time causes depletion a few times a day, one hour causes depletion maybe once a day and 30 minute keeps up. We also have a NAC appliance that doesnt want any shorter than 4 hour lease to limit the number of times it has to write ACL's in the route map, but thats another story.

We have around 11,000 students. We have one /22 wireless lan that a two hour lease time causes depletion a few times a day, one hour causes depletion maybe once a day and 30 minute keeps up. We also have a NAC appliance that doesnt want any shorter than 4 hour lease to limit the number of times it has to write ACL's in the route map, but thats another story.

CRICKEY!   11K student body?

How about setting aside a /20 subnet but configure a /21 and see if that works?

You don't have dorm rooms part of your wireless campus, would you?

We are just starting to add dorm rooms, partly why Im asking this question. They will have all those mobile device on all the time so they will be taking several ip's each. My plan is to take part of the switched network ip space and move it to the wireless since the switched network usage will be reduced as we light up more wireless.

We are just starting to add dorm rooms

Basically that means that your DHCP server will be dishing out IP addresses 24-hours a day.  Too bad, I thought that with WCS you can disable the radios for, say, an hour and that might help refresh the list.

In that case, I'm sure /20 is enough.  I recommend that you subdivide the network to a "per building" basis.  That way you can better manage the way IP addresses are being used.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: