Views
Helpful
Replies

Time on DMPs & PoP

ivantoth123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Thomas,

Is there a way to check time on DMPs (5.2.1 firmware) which have NTP configured? I get some funny reports in Proof of Play on DMM (5.2.1 version), time is not correct in PoP log. My suspicion is that time on DMP is wrong.

Tnx!

Ivan

9 Replies 9

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

* To see it the NTP service is running, you can check "mng.slots", this tells us what services are 
  running on the DMP:

https://admin:default@a.b.c.d:7777/get_param?p=mng.slots

admin          = DMP Web Account Username
 default        = DMP Web Account Password
 a.b.c.d        = IP Address of DMP

You should see a service "ntpc" which tells us that NTP service is running.

ie.

mng.slots     T_STRING       #   name     sel           L O C A L                 R E M O T E       listen   timer    time    Flags
  #            ect       ip          port            ip          port     port     cnt     avg          
 --- -------   ---- ---------------  -----      ---------------  -----   ------  --------  ------- -------------------------
  2  ntpc      yes  0.0.0.0          0                           0       -1        1       -28     BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_TMR RUN_SELCT 

Use the "Status" mib (from advanced tasks) to see the time on the DMP..

I hope this helps!

T.

Hi,

There is no ntpc service in my service list. DMP log output below:

mng.slots     T_STRING       #   name     sel           L O C A L                 R E M O T E       listen   timer    time    Flags
  #            ect       ip          port            ip          port     port     cnt     avg         
--- -------   ---- ---------------  -----      ---------------  -----   ------  --------  ------- -------------------------
  0  init      no                    0                           0       -1        1       249     BUSY RUN_TMR
  1  shell1    yes  127.0.0.1        6666                        0       6666      0       0       BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_SELCT
  2  cmd2browser yes  127.0.0.1        60696                       0       -1        0       39      BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_SELCT
  3  sigma     no                    0                           0       -1        2       2       BUSY RUN_TMR
  4  mib1      yes  127.0.0.1        9777                        0       9777      0       0       BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_SELCT
  5  mibevt1   no                    0                           0       -1        1       8       BUSY RUN_TMR
  6  kbd       yes                   0                           0       -1        0       0       BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_SELCT
  7  rs232     yes                   0                           0       0         0       0       BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_SELCT
  8  sinfo     no                    0                           0       -1        0       0       BUSY
  9  info      yes  BCAST            0                           0       -1        0       0       BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_SELCT
10  sh        no                    0                           0       -1        0       0       BUSY
11  irasrv    no                    0                           0       -1        0       0       BUSY
12  xfake     no                    0                           0       -1        0       0       BUSY
13  mib45088  yes  127.0.0.1        9777       127.0.0.1        37223   9777      0       0       BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_SELCT
14  file      no                    0                           0       -1        0       0       BUSY
15  http_pump no                    0                           0       -1        1       0       BUSY ALLW_SELCT RUN_TMR

When I run status log with command:
https://admin:default@a.b.c.d:7777/get_param?p=*.*
- I am having problems finding time in status log

I get this info about ntpc (status log):

init.startService_ntpc     T_STRING     yes

Any ideas?

Ivan

Ivan

Please upload the screen output of:

* Your DMP of the NTP settings

* screen output of the "status" mib

* screen output of https://admin:default@a.b.c.d:7777/get_param?p=mng.slots

Thanks

T.

Files in the attach.

Regards,

Ivan

"pool.ntp.org" is a NTP cluster of internet NTP servers.

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: pool.ntp.org

Address: 216.176.232.220

Address: 153.16.4.132

Address: 204.9.54.119

I noticed your DMP is on a 10.x.x.x network.

Are you using NAT or PAT to access the internet...

Can you Route to these servers from the DMP ip subnet

that you are using?

Try adding your laptop to the same network and

ping these addresses or the addresses that you

see with a NSLOOKUP.

Also try configuring your laptop to use NTP and see

if it works.

T.

:7777/get_param?p=*.*

===========================================

5:43:23 PM

is this the correct time?

Hi Thomas,

I belive that this time you mentioned is time from DMM, it was displayed in 5.1 version where DMP did not have NTP option.

I checked it once again (with my laptop), NTP is reachable from DMP network. One more thing, I had PoP enabled (syslog & NTP) on 5 players and reports were comming, only the time was wrong. When I enabled PoP on 34 players PoP logs had funny results. With 5 players I had more than 30000 reports in one day, and with 34 players arround 3000. It seems like PoP reports were lost somwhere. Is there a limit how may PoP logs can DMM handle? Every player has a playlist with 15 movies and average movie duration is arround one minute.

Ivan

Ivan,

I didn't mention the DMM or 5.1, I am talking explicitly about the

DMP and time & NTP settings on the DMP.

Like I mentioned above, The "status" mib displays the time.

So run the "status" mib on your DMPs or DMP in question and

see what the current time that is reported and then look

at your watch.  Are they the same?  If not what is the delta

difference between the time on the DMP and your watch?

As for Proof of Play, please go to the DMM and take a screen

capture of the configuration screen and upload it for me.

The limits of the Proof of Play reports are related to your

configuration.

Cheers!

T.

Hi,

Well yes, it is the correct time, but this time was displayed before I started NTP on DMPs (5.2.1 version). I get the same report on DMS 5.1 version where NTP option is not present on DMP. I just do not understand how it is possible for DMP to display correct time if it does not have NTP configured. So my assumption was that this is the time from DMM which DMM generats before dispaying the rest of status log.

I can go arround DMM and take status log with internet explorer:
https://admin:default@a.b.c.d:7777/get_param?p=*.*
- in this case there is no time displayed

PoP screenshot is in the attach.

Regards,

Ivan

Correct, Date & Time was not configurable prior to 5.2.

The DMP-4305G does not have an internal & the DMP-4400G has an

internal clock but was not used until the NTP feature.

That is the reason why the time & dates are wrong on the

DMPs prior to 5.2.x.

In Regards to your PoP records,  You could simply be filling up your

records by exceeding the record count or meeting & passing the size of

the log threshold.   

You are using the default values for PoP Data Size & Rotation rules.

You can play with these variables and increase the values

as needed.

T.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: