cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions regarding upgrading DMPs from 5.0.2 to 5.2

thomptho
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to migrate from an a DMM 5.0 box that is running on old supported hardware platform to a new DMM 5.2.1 box on supported hardware.

Is it possible to upgrade the DMPs ONLY and point them to a new DMM without upgrading the DMM?

I am having an impossible time getting 4305 DMPs upgraded from 5.0.2 to 5.2.1 due to the required kernel upgrade.

I tried upgrading the kernel first while the DMPs were still registered with the DMM 5.0 box. There is no "is kernel image" choice when creating the advanced dmp firmware task.

I went ahead and upgraded the firmware to 5.2.1 on two 'test' DMPS and swung them over to the new DMM running 5.2.1 (changed DMM central mgmt IP as well as web account passwords). DMPs are showing up, but fail to recover from reboot commands.

I defined the 5.1 kernel as media on the new DMM and created the kernel upgrade under firmware advance tasks.

I start the kernel upgrade from the 5.2.1 DMM.

Under the 'check upgrade status', it shows that it starts. The DMPs eventually reboot, but, again, never recover.

What am I missing here?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Doug Thompson

Atlanta Customer Briefing Center

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Doug.

I have a specific FAQ on this on the links that i posted.

The FAQs explains to you how to upgrade the kernel without

a DMM.

This is done manually..

Cheers!

T.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

thomptho
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to add: this is slightly different than anything listed in the install guide(s) since I am not (can't physically since it is unsupported hardware) upgrading the current DMM.

I have tried to follow the guide(s) as closely as possible. The only thing that is not the same is that the kernel and firmware images are sitting on an FTP server (along with TONS of content) instead of being 'local' (on the CD running on the DMM).

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Doug,

Since you are Cisco Internal Try taking a look at my DMS Wiki

at:

http://cae-wiki.cisco.com/index.php/Digital_Media_System_%28DMS%29

Under the DMP FAQ section, I talk about of a lot of UPGRADE scenarios

and tips for upgrading the DMPs without using a DMM.

http://cae-wiki.cisco.com/index.php/DMP-FAQS#Software.5CUpgrade

I would use these tips and upgrade a single DMP-4305G for a test.

as always upgrade the kernel first and then the DMP firmware..

I hope this helps!

T.

Tomas,

Thanks, but I am not seeing the information for my question. I can downgrade the DMPs from 5.2.1 back to 5.0.2. The question then becomes 'HOW' do I upgrade the kernel before upgrading the firmware to 5.2.1. There is no way to do this in 5.0.2 that I am aware of since the kernel upgrade was not introduced until 5.1.

Is there a manual way to do it?

Thanks again,

Doug

Doug.

I have a specific FAQ on this on the links that i posted.

The FAQs explains to you how to upgrade the kernel without

a DMM.

This is done manually..

Cheers!

T.

Tomas,

Thanks for all the help and great support. I have a handle on it now.

Regards,

Doug

Hi Tomas

I want to upgrade DMP Firmware and Kernel of my DMP 4305G from 5.0.3 to 5.2, unfortunately i can't upgrade the firmware and kernel from DMM 5.2, when I'm upgrading the DMP, there is no response from the DMP and status Of DMP is "red or cross"

How can I upgrade the firmware and kernel of my DMP from 5.0.3 to 5.2 ?

And can you share your internal article to me ?

http://cae-wiki.cisco.com/index.php/Digital_Media_System_%28DMS%29

http://cae-wiki.cisco.com/index.php/DMP-FAQS#Software.5CUpgrade

I can't open it the link...

Hope u can share ur experience with us

Many thanks

Novriadi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: