cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Not Propagating

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Please erview attachment. We have a problem with VTP not propagating.  We have a 3550 which is acting as the VTP server in the domain fwnet4.
I've verified that the domain name is the same, VTP version is the same, mode is configured correctly, all connections from switch-switch are trunked using dot1q, but the vlans are not propagating. Why? Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The MD5 digest on your 4506 is not the same, do you have VTP password configured? If no, you can try to change the VTP domain name to a dummy one and change it back to see if VTP propagate or not. Also, you can also try to add and remove a dummy VLAN also.

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

David

Your configuration revision number is 0 on all switches. Please either add or modify an existing vlan on the 3550. This should then update the configuration revision number to 1 and force the VTP clients to update their vlan databases.

Jon

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The MD5 digest on your 4506 is not the same, do you have VTP password configured? If no, you can try to change the VTP domain name to a dummy one and change it back to see if VTP propagate or not. Also, you can also try to add and remove a dummy VLAN also.

HTH,

jerry

There are no vtp passwords and I've change vtp domain name, then back again with no luck.

Can you check your trunk configuration between the switches. Are all the vlans passed through or are there some disallowed vlans? check if Vlan1 is passed through.

BR//Rajiv

Show interface trunk shows vlan 1-4094 allowed. My last option is to reboot the switch, which I don't want to do since it's in production.

David

Your configuration revision number is 0 on all switches. Please either add or modify an existing vlan on the 3550. This should then update the configuration revision number to 1 and force the VTP clients to update their vlan databases.

Jon

Thanks Jon, that worked.

yl1
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if anyone will ever see this. I am running CCNP switch lab 5-1 at home right now. The VTP was not propagating. I have 2 3550s and 2 2950s. I checked the switches and two of them have the same domain name SWPOD. The other two had SWLAB for the domain name. I changed the SWLAB to SWPOD and now this project is working. The orange lights on my 2 2950s are gone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card