cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password recovery for VG224

Amith Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Am trying to do password recovery for 2 VG224 but am unable to get to the ROM MON mode. I have connected a laptop with DB9 connector and trying with hyperterminal using Ctrl+Break sequence.

Please help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Password recovery is the same procedure as any other ISR.  Send a break at boot, after the memoy count is finished.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

Sounds like you may have a local terminal issue.  Perhaps try an application like Putty or Teraterm to send the break sequence?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Password recovery is the same procedure as any other ISR.  Send a break at boot, after the memoy count is finished.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

Sounds like you may have a local terminal issue.  Perhaps try an application like Putty or Teraterm to send the break sequence?

Steven, Thanks but the problem looks different here.I also did try using teraterm (through cyclades) using "Alt+b" as sequence but didnt help.

When the VG224 boots up I cannot see anything on the screen until I get "Press Return" message and then hit enter I see Router> prompt. enable password is not set and hence I am trying to recover the password.

Its totally blank till the VG224 completely boots up. so no matter what break sequence I put in, nothing really happens.

You should be seeing the boot sequence; memory count, firmware decompressing, etc.  You are plugged into the console port on the router, right?

Can you connect your console cable and PC to a known working router to ensure that you see the boot sequence on that device?  You are set to 9600/1 stop bit/no parity/no flow control, right?

It could also be that someone before you set the configuration register to something funny.  You can try pulling the cover off the chassis, removing the NVRAM battery, letting it sit for a couple hours, putting the battery back in, and seeing if it boots any different.

-Steve

You are right, I do not see the bootupsequence, memory count etc...The console cable directly connects to console port of the VG224. Its still not in the network.

Since the VG224 came from a SMB partner, it could be true that they played around with config register. I dont think we can remove the NVRAM battery as the VG224 is in a remote location and the onsite person doesnt have knowledge about the device.

I connected the laptop to both VG224 and see the same exact situation. I will connect to a different device to make sure it is not a laptop problem.

the settings are 9600/1 stop bit/no parity/no flow control

Amith please check that your console cable is plugged into  console port. It seems like the cable plugged into AUX port.

You are responding to a 2 years old thread, chances are that my now the OP has found a solution.

Paolo Bevilacqua wrote:

Anyway, VG224 does not have AUX port.

The one sat on my desk does - as do all the others on my system.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Thank you for correcting me, I've edited my post.