Views
Helpful
Replies

Restoring a CUCM 6.0 Publisher

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have restored CUCM publishers in a test lab before to be more familiar with the process, never had any problems.  However, I would like to know more about the impact of a restore in a production environment.  Currently, no call control or registration is being done on my production publisher - it's only purpose is to maintain the database.  If the publisher goes down, I have nightly backups to restore it, but I'm wondering what the impact would be if I restore.  For instance, if I use a previous evening's backup and I've already added phone since, what will happen to those phones after the restore?  The subscribers are supposed to maintain a limited database of customer-facing features, I doubt the new phone information will be honored after the restore.  Also, it's pretty standard that after a cluster is built out that, under System>Server each host is renamed to its IP address.  When a new publisher is created, after it's brought up and before it's restored, it will still have its hostname.  I'm assuming that the restore will change it's own hostname under System>Server so that the subscribers will be able to rejoin it and resume replication?

Can anyone recommend a good document on these implications?

2 Replies 2

vakkera
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Here are the answers to your questions.

1. For instance, if I use a previous evening's backup and I've already  added phone since, what will happen to those phones after the restore?

Ans) If you happened to add any phones/devices to the CM after a backup has been taken, and you restore the DB with the same, you will loose all the information that was added.

2. The subscribers are supposed to maintain a limited database of  customer-facing features, I doubt the new phone information will be  honored after the restore.

Ans) The following are the UFF (user facing features) that are written into the local DB, for Callmanager Version 6 and above

- Call Forward All (CFA)

- Message Waiting Indicataion (MWI)

- Privacy Enable/Disable

- Do Not Disturb Enable/Disable (DND)
          - Extension Mobility Login (EM)

- Hunt Group Logout

- Device Mobility

- CTI CAPF status for end users and application users

- Credential Hacking and Authentication

Tha backup also has the UFF of all the nodes. You could restore them with the same backup file. More details in the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/6_0_1/drs/drsag601.html#wp219157

3. When a new publisher is created, after it's brought up and before it's  restored, it will still have its hostname.  I'm assuming that the  restore will change it's own hostname under System>Server so that the  subscribers will be able to rejoin it and resume replication?

Ans) CM replication is not done based on the System > Server information. It is done based on the host files that are on indidual servers. It does not have any effect replication if you have IP address or hostname in the System > Server . To throw more light on it, I am attaching a PPT to this thread.

Please reply back if you need more clarification.

Hope this helps!

Cheers'

Vajrender

Thanks, Vajrender.  This PowerPoint looks great, I'll check it out.  It sounds like restoring a publisher is really a pretty straightforward affair.  I just need to make sure that I configure the same administrative accounts, passwords, and network stack settings, then I can do the restore.  I may lost some information if there are lots of changes between the backup cycles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: