Views
Helpful
Replies

Need assistance in Ciscoworks LMS 3.2 for enable monitoring of cisco switches

habeebuddin786
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to the ciscoworks LMS 3.2. I have a task to add a devices in ciscoworks and configure the SNMP on the devices and ciscoworks both. My company has bought the ciscoworks LMS3.2 in 2009 december since then one engineer has configured some devices in it but not fully. I tried to look into the guides and documentation but has huge stuff. My infrastructure lead also not familiar of ciscoworks tool. I know there is lot of documentation in it but I have very less time say this weekend I have to activate monitoring of devices in ciscoworks LMS 3.2. Can anyone please provide me the screenshots or step-by-step procedure to how to enable a device for monitoring who has prior experience on ciscoworks LMS 3.2.

Regards,

Ahmed

17 Replies 17

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have attached a document showing the simplest way to setup LMS to discover your devices.  For details on the settings and options, you can use the online help by clicking on it at each screen where you are located.  Additionally, I recommend you go over this discovery document which can explain in detail about each individual option and how to setup the discovery.  You will see it is not as long as other documentation and is very useful.

Hey Joel,

Thats a nice document. Thank you so much. Its very helpfull reference. I tried discovering the devices and some of them are not reachable. What may be the reason for not reachable. I'll appreciate if you can guide me to discover those devices which are showing as not reachable. Please find the screenshot for your reference:

Thanks

Ahmed

The devices that show up as "unreachable" are because the LMS server cannot reach them via SNMP.  You need to make sure the community you set in the discovery settings is configured on that device.  If it is, probably there is an ACL or something blocking the SNMP traffic between LMS and this device.

I checked the community string in the LMS and the other unreachable devices are the same. Even the community string on the reachable devices are the same and there is no SNMP blocking anywhere between the path from the LMS server to the unreachable devices.

Is there something that I need to put the devices in DCR first. If no what could be the reason. Much appreciated your response!

Thanks

From the LMS server, are you able to ping these devices?

Yes I am able to ping these devices.

Go to Device Center from the LMS portal, enter the IP of this device and choose SNMP Walk from the options below.  For "Starting OID" enter "sysObjectID" and try to walk the device.  Does the walk return any results?

Hey I am not able to find "sysObjectID". Where do i get this ID and on which page??

I am able to ping and traceroute from the LMS Device center by giving the device IP address but when i check for snmpwalk, it gives me nothing as I have to specify the OID, if anyone can assist me to locate the "sysobjectID then it would be helpful for me to get forward with the issue.

Thanks

Ahmed

You need to type "sysObjectID" under "Starting OID" as shown on the screenshot.  This will help us confirm if the device is really reachable via SNMP or not.

OK.

I did the same but its failing. Getting an error message as:

The following is a SNMP walk of device 10.0.195.11 starting from sysObjectID

SNMP Walk Output
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sysObjectID

Failed to snmpwalk the device.  Please check your community string and starting OID, and try again.

This confirms the discovery is correct by placing the device as "unreachable".  Either the community you are using in the discovery settings is incorrect for this device, or something in the network is blocking SNMP UDP 161 traffic from LMS to this device or viceversa.

Actually, there might be one thing I overlooked.  Did you put the proper community string when trying this last SNMP walk?  Try using the same community you configured under the discovery settings and then see if you still get the error.

Yes I tried using the same SNMP string while trying SNMPwalk. Still getting the same error.

There are 20 device status showing as reachbale with the same community string and its connnected to same core device which is connected to new device. There is no blocking of port 161.

OK for the above 20 devices which are reachable how exactly I need to monitor these devices i mean how would I come to know whether the device status is up or down in the ciscoworks. Is it something i can see in IPM, if so how exactly I need to look for these 20 devices are in monitoring state.

regards,

Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: