Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM: Alerts and Events doubt

Eduardo Camio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

First of all please forgive my ignorance, but could someone give the specific difference between Alert and Event in DFM. I understand that an event is something that I can define specifically, but what DFM considers an Alert? There is a table or document where I can find this?

On the other hand I'm configuring e-mail alerts for down or unreacheable devices like in the screens attached below. I receive events with status Active in a normal way but DFM never sends me the Cleared status for that events (of course that I checked out that the event is no longer Active), what I am doing wrong?

Thanks to all and excuse my writing, I'm not native english speaker.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Events are atomic issues on devices (e.g. an interface is down, high CPU, etc.).  Alerts are composite elements.  They are composed of one or more events for a specific device.  Typically, I recommend users define notifications on events instead of alerts as events have all the meaty details about a problem.

In order to get cleared Event notifications, check that Informational box under Events in your Notification Group.  Cleared events are informational.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Events are atomic issues on devices (e.g. an interface is down, high CPU, etc.).  Alerts are composite elements.  They are composed of one or more events for a specific device.  Typically, I recommend users define notifications on events instead of alerts as events have all the meaty details about a problem.

In order to get cleared Event notifications, check that Informational box under Events in your Notification Group.  Cleared events are informational.

Thanks Joseph and I will take your recommendation to use events instead of alerts.

Regards.