Views
Helpful
Replies

a ipv6 window host, stateful dhcpv6,

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi  every body.

Let say we have a ipv6-window-host.  Let say stateful dhcpv6  is in use.  Windows host is assigned an ipv6 address by dhcpv6 server.  Will host still generate  ipv6 address by using Prefix+ randomly generated number.?

if yes, then why?  because the reason  behind  using" prefix+ 64 bit  randomly generated  number"  is to prevent user from being tracked which  might be  the case  when  a host as a part of auto-configuration process, upon prefix receiving prefix in RA ,generates a ipv6 address----------- prefix+ eui-64

Since ipv6-window -host is assigned  an ipv6 address by dhcpv6  server, therefore it  reduces  the  risk for host  from  being tracked.

Thanks and have a great day.

2 Replies 2

oluwamayowa
Level 1
Level 1

can you please introduce me to this field.i'm just learning.

Hi  Samuel.

welcome  to  cisco support community!

If  you  are new like me,  i suggest start  with Network+ , a comptia certification, then  work towards  cisco certification  such as  ccna.   Remember not to get disappointed as  building  a foundation  for any field requires a lot of hardwork and determination, so  if you don't understand concept,  go over it couples of times,  use google  to find  online  link  for the concept, if you still  don't get it  then post your question on  cisco forum but make sure to  explain  your question in detail so  members can understand it and  be able to help  you. Remember  to be respectful and polite. Cisco support community is awesome  forum to learn networking. I  have learned  and still learning  a lot  from my fellow members.

Thanks  and have a great day.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card