Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI E1 line receives remote alarm indication

arunlnakti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

i have cisco 3660 router with NM-HDV 1MFT-E1 controller and serial WIC 4T card. (pls find attachment for topology)

my problem is PRI E1 line not working, everything is connected properlly,

when i run sh controller e1 command, i receive "receiver has remote alarm" indiacation.

i troubleshoot according to Cisco doc.

still getting this alarm

Core-r-Mumbai#show controllers e1 3/0
E1 3/0 is down.
  Applique type is Channelized E1 - balanced
  Description: *** VOICE PRI ***
  Receiver has remote alarm.
  alarm-trigger is not set
  Version info Firmware: 20070320, FPGA: 20, spm_count = 0
  Framing is NO-CRC4, Line Code is HDB3, Clock Source is Line.
  CRC Threshold is 320. Reported from firmware  is 320.
  Data in current interval (46 seconds elapsed):
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

i did all both software and hardware loopback test, both gets succesfull

in this senario i didnt get any help from ISP. because i took 2Mb MPLS link which working fine, only PRI E1 line has a problem.

please help me resolve this issue.

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is nothign you can do.

Call telco on site  with their own equimpent, they will see the alarm,.

Just say that you will not pay anything until it is working.

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of cable are you using to connect the port to the telco equipment? have you tried changing or checking it? If the port checks out, with the loopback test, and the cabling is good then you will need to get the provider involved to assist in troubleshooting.

-Felipe

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

remote alarm also known as RAI or Yellow Alarm means exactly what it says.  The remote system is sending an alarm.

A Yellow Alarm occurs when zeros appear in the Bit  2 position of all channels in the T1 or T1-E received bit stream, a  Remote Alarm Indication (RAI) signal is found in the E1 received bit  stream, or 8 ones [1s] are followed by 8 zeros in the E1-PRI or PRI  received bit stream. This condition usually indicates a loss of carrier  or OOF at the far end.

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

now controller E1 shows up , phone line also working,

but it suddenly gets down after 10 min, 30 min, or sometimes after 1 hour

and shows messege i.e controller e1 down (RAI detected)

Mar  1 05:30:39: %CONTROLLER-5-UPDOWN: Controller E1 4/0, changed state to down

(RAI detected)ll

Core-r-Mumbai#sh controllers e1 4/0

E1 4/0 is down.

Applique type is Channelized E1 - balanced

Description: *** VOICE PRI ***

Receiver has remote alarm.

alarm-trigger is not set

Version info Firmware: 20070320, FPGA: 20, spm_count = 0

Framing is NO-CRC4, Line Code is HDB3, Clock Source is Line.

CRC Threshold is 320. Reported from firmware  is 320.

Data in current interval (41 seconds elapsed):

1 Line Code Violations, 2 Path Code Violations

1 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 1 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins

2 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

Core-r-Mumbai#

E1 controller gets up after hardboot the Routerm and after 10 to 15 minits controller again goes down.
what could be the reason ?
i searched for this error on internet, some people says replace the card.
is it right solution ?
please suggest
thanks

I think there is a *very* high probability that this is a service provider issue.  What are they doing about it or telling you?  Someone at your telco/service provider needs to monitor the circuit and they should easily see why they are sending you yellow alarm.

Sure, if you have a spare card, try replacing it.  It will most likely help prove that the issue is on SP side.

I would suggest spending your time pressuring your SP to tell you what is wrong, why are they sending you a yellow alarm and fix it or get a colleague to do that part for you.

Good luck.

Brandon

but here there is no concern with ISP, because see the topology ISP said that our 2 Mb MPLS link is working properlly.

and on other hand EPBX person said that my line is ok bacuse its worked atlist for 1 hr or 30 minuts, it means no clocking or line issue.

they said your router card not able to handle the pressure of E1 line thats why it controller gets down.

so they asking me to replace card.

Along with RAI detected error , i also receive following error during startup.

%DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 10 in slot 4, changed state to up

%DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 11 in slot 4, changed state to up
%DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 12 in slot 4, changed state to up
%DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 13 in slot 4, changed state to up
%DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 14 in slot 4, changed state to up
what it means ?
is there card efficiency problem.
before 6 monts (when project not under me) same problem was occurred and gets resolved by replacing card.
what shall do next ?
pls suggest.

Ahh, sorry I didn't look at your topology before.  Now I see that *you* are the service provider

So the yellow alarm is coming from the PBX.

There is no such thing as "pressure" on an E1. This is not plumbing after all and the fact that it works for a while and then breaks does not prove that there is no trouble with the PBX.

If you already know that this same problem was solved by replacing a card, then that could be the solution again, right?  I guess you could also ask the PBX tech to reboot his system or replace his E1 card too.

The DSP messages do not look like errors and I doubt they have anything to do with your issue.

Brandon

Yeah those are normal DSP messages, and DSPs are not necessary for L1 on an E1 to come up, anyway.

The conclusive test is to configure a T1 loopback cable and plug it into the port.  If the port comes up, you know your hardware is good, and the issue is either a physical cabling issue upstream (bad cable to smart jack, or bad smart jack, perhaps?) or a misconfiguration on someone's side regarding linecoding/clocking/framing.

arunlnakti
Level 1
Level 1
This problem has been resolved after replacing NM-HDV Module along with PVDM-12 and VWIC 1MFT-E1.
thanks to all for support
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: