Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF v1 or V2?

jbritton1875
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Been looking for a comparison between OSPF v1 and v2, most websites only talk about OSVP v2 and v3 and the IPv4 and IPv6 conversation but I'm wondering what the difference is between OSPF v1 and v2 is? I don't want to shell out for IP services if OSPF v1 on IP Base will do the job.

Essentially I have a very simple network with a data centre at one end and a client site at the other and I want to run OSPF between them, would V1 be up to the job?

Thanks!

J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OSPF v1 is so old that nobody remembers about it,. and is not supported by anybody, if ever it was.

Please note without being offended, if you are the end user, it is recommendable you leave network design and implementation to a reputabler consultant, or certified Cisco partner.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OSPF v1 is so old that nobody remembers about it,. and is not supported by anybody, if ever it was.

Please note without being offended, if you are the end user, it is recommendable you leave network design and implementation to a reputabler consultant, or certified Cisco partner.

Thank you for your answer.

Not sure of the relevance of your last comment as I'm actually CCNA qualified and most of the way through my CCNP. I'd simply never come across OSPF v1 and only ever dealt with V2 or V3. I also have a responsibility to ensure the designs I implement are cost effective so if OSPF v1 would do the job I need to 100% be able to justify the choice for V2 and therefore the extra expense for the IP Services feature set!

Very good that you are certified.

Of course, nobody is expected  to know all the historic details about protocols to make them work.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

"I don't want to shell out for IP services if OSPF v1 on IP Base will do the job." With this comment id say the person is an IT person. I Doubt end users would ask for such a question!!!

Agreed, such a question is likely to come from someone working in IT. However, I highly doubt they found OSPF V1 running on an IP Base image. More likely/probably, they encountered a subset of OSPF V2 supported on IP Base, usually one allowing OSPF to be extended to an edge device or to support a very tiny OSPF topology.

As Paolo noted, he didn't want to offend, but asking about using OSPF V1, does sound like a novice, or non-network engineer, whether in IT or not. If fact, it's a bit surprising that the person asking later notes they have a CCNA and have almost completed a CCNP, but then even CCIEs can stumble over somethings too. (To be clear, not knowing about OSPF V1 isn't the surprise, the surprise is asking about using it with IP Base because, again, what Cisco platform and IOS supports it?)

You have focused on the comment "I don't want to shell out for IP services if OSPF v1 on IP Base will do the job.", but again, where are they, or you, finding OSPF V1 running with IP Base? I believe Paolo's initial suggestion, that a more qualified individual be contacted, to assist, isn't unreasonable, whether the OP was in IT or not.

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Jonathan,

First of all i really doubt whether v1 implementation ever existed !

FYI ...V1 and V2 will not interoperate.

The initial RFC just had some specification and there are loads of difference between them starting from the support of stub area.

If you are really interested:-

Check the appendix F of http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1247.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card