Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with the interface of the express 500

I saw this error in the alert of the express 500 : Detected Ping and/or SYN packets at unexpected rate on this port.

Somebody can help me with this problem, because I dont know why this problem occur.

best regard

Paolo Kobashikawa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Siddharth Chandrachud
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Error message:
Detected Ping and/or SYN packets at unexpected rate on this port

Explanation:  This message only notifies that the switch is receiving more Pings
or SYN packets than expected.  The device connected to CE500 switch is generating
the SYN/ICMP packets and if you are not experiencing network disruptions this can
be considered as a notification only.  Sometimes if someone is running a 'ping -t'
(continuous ping) and packets hit the interface, one can also see this error.

Hope this helps.

Sid Chandrachud
Cisco TAC.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Siddharth Chandrachud
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Error message:
Detected Ping and/or SYN packets at unexpected rate on this port

Explanation:  This message only notifies that the switch is receiving more Pings
or SYN packets than expected.  The device connected to CE500 switch is generating
the SYN/ICMP packets and if you are not experiencing network disruptions this can
be considered as a notification only.  Sometimes if someone is running a 'ping -t'
(continuous ping) and packets hit the interface, one can also see this error.

Hope this helps.

Sid Chandrachud
Cisco TAC.

Hi,

in the alert it´s said error 3 and the recommendation said that i have to take off the device of the port.

Hello,

The error message indicates a SYN/ICMP packet rate outside the ordinary.

You can check the device connected to CE500 or do a packet capture to find out more about the traffic.

Otherwise, if you do not see any network issues/disruptions you take the message as informational.

- Sid

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card