cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Power button" - what's the meaning of active or standby state for the blades?

steven.pw.lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I want to power down one UCS B-Series Chassis, do i need to put the blades on standby via the "power button"?

I noticed there's a power button on each blades and it's orange/amber when there's no service profile association.

However, pressing on that button, it becomes green but when I press it again, it won't turn back orange/amber.

I've seen documentation mentioning green is active and amber is standby.

What the differents in terms of usage between active and standby if there's no service profile associated? I can pull out the blade even if the LED is green?

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The impact will be that you will have to "re-ack" the blade.  What I mean is there is a option in UCSM that allows you to re-acknowledge the blade you pulled, because if you think about it, the service profile has virtual componments attached to the profile so if you pull it, you will have issues.  Make sense?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

Steven,

As long as there is not a service profile associated with the blade and if you go into the blade from the "equipment" tab and shutdown the server, you can pull it out and in as often as you like and if you do that on each blade then the entire chassis will be considered down.

Thanks.

What will happened if I just shutdown the blades without disassociating it with the service profile and remove it.. then reslot it back to the same slot..

What is the impact of doing this to the system?

The impact will be that you will have to "re-ack" the blade.  What I mean is there is a option in UCSM that allows you to re-acknowledge the blade you pulled, because if you think about it, the service profile has virtual componments attached to the profile so if you pull it, you will have issues.  Make sense?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card