cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new ISP and trying to send some remote site traffic to it instead of the default GW

Bob Rizzo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  We currently have an ISP that we point all of our default traffic too but recently added a new ISP that we will be migrating over to.  Is there a way to do a source static on the edge router or ASA that will send default route traffic to the new ISP for certain sites without breaking the old default route?

ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 01 12.51.gif

Thank you in advance

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robert.Rizzo wrote:

Hi,  We currently have an ISP that we point all of our default traffic too but recently added a new ISP that we will be migrating over to.  Is there a way to do a source static on the edge router or ASA that will send default route traffic to the new ISP for certain sites without breaking the old default route?

Thank you in advance

It's not clear exactly what traffic you want to send to the new ASA because your diagram says you want to send default-route traffc or web traffic so why not just change the default route ?

However if you want to use the old default route for some traffic and the new ASA for other traffic you can use PBR on the 3rd party managed router. PBR can use an extended access-list so you can specify the traffic based on source/destination IP and source/destination port number.

If you could be more specific about exactly what you sent where we could provide an example of PBR.

Jon

Hi and thank you for your reply.  I'm afraid if I move the default route to the new ASA/ISP it will break my inbound web server traffic coming from the internet?  We have public to private nats on the old that will move over but I was hoping to do this one at a time instead of the all at once type of move.

Policy Based Routing is what I've been looking at but wanted to make sure there wasn't a simpler way since I need to contact Qwest and have them set it up.

Thanks

-B

Robert.Rizzo wrote:

Hi and thank you for your reply.  I'm afraid if I move the default route to the new ASA/ISP it will break my inbound web server traffic coming from the internet?  We have public to private nats on the old that will move over but I was hoping to do this one at a time instead of the all at once type of move.

Policy Based Routing is what I've been looking at but wanted to make sure there wasn't a simpler way since I need to contact Qwest and have them set it up.

Thanks

-B

Bob

Okay, that makes sense. No PBR is probably the easiest although with an MPLS network there is always the possibility of using separate vrf's each with their own default route but this may be more complicated to configure and as it is only temporary simplest way is probably the best.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card