Views
Helpful
Replies

2610 router - determining type of device [XM vs. non-XM]

Norm Cutler
Level 1
Level 1

[New to the community, not sure where to start first, so I picked here!]

I have an old 2610 router that has been mothballed for quite a while now, that I'd like to reuse for a different purpose. To do so, I'm going to need an additional module, which I have found, but I'm not sure if the IOS is up-to-date enough to support it. The problem for me, is figuring out what I should be looking at. The specs for the device [NM-4E 4-port Ethernet network module] with regards to supported IOS versions are as such:

2600XM Series  - 12.1(14) or 12.2(8)T1
2600 series  - 11.3(4)T

The problem I have is, how do I tell if I am using an XM or non-XM series device? As stated above, I know it's a 2610, but I don't know where it falls in the rest of the product line. 'show version' returns this information...

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.0(9), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

...which seems to fall right between the XM and non-XM device versions. I'm just not sure where to look for the information I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

facsniagara wrote:

I have an old 2610 router that has been mothballed for quite a while now, that I'd like to reuse for a different purpose. To do so, I'm going to need an additional module, which I have found, but I'm not sure if the IOS is up-to-date enough to support it. The problem for me, is figuring out what I should be looking at. The specs for the device [NM-4E 4-port Ethernet network module] with regards to supported IOS versions are as such:

2600 series  - 11.3(4)T

The problem I have is, how do I tell if I am using an XM or non-XM series device? As stated above, I know it's a 2610, but I don't know where it falls in the rest of the product line. 'show version' returns this information...

...which seems to fall right between the XM and non-XM device versions. I'm just not sure where to look for the information I need.

Thanks,

Norm

The 2610 has one 10Mbps interface.

The 2610-XM has one 100Mbps interface.

So either see what it reports on bootup or do a "sh ip int brief". If the ethernet interface is labelled fa... then that is fast ethernet ie. 100Mbps.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

facsniagara wrote:

2600 series  - 11.3(4)T

Thanks,

Norm

The 2610 has one 10Mbps interface.

The 2610-XM has one 100Mbps interface.

So either see what it reports on bootup or do a "sh ip int brief". If the ethernet interface is labelled fa... then that is fast ethernet ie. 100Mbps.

Jon

Excellent! Thanks Jon.

Now I can order my module and start the fun part - configuring it!

[btw, it's a non-XM version]

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: