Views
Helpful
Replies

15454 OC3 card STS3 not available any ideas

pmorneault
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have a older 15454 network with OC

3 ring between the nodes.  My issue is we are trying to provision an ethernet circuit between two nodes on STS3 and its not working.

We are able to provision the circuit on each end and it shows green but no traffic passes.  After doing some investigation comparing it to other nodes that we are using STS3 on I found that on the OC3 card on the SONET STS Tab there are only STS1 and STS2 available.  sts3 does not show up on the tab.

There does not appear to be any way in the GUI to configure sts3.  I contacted the telcos that are providing the OC3 circuit and they stated it is configured and in alarm as if there is no signal from my endpoints.

Is there something in the CLI interface I need to do to activate STS3?

Thanks

~ Phil

10 Replies 10

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there any other traffic already provisioned on STS-3 for this OC-3 port (from another card in the shelf)?

What type of 15454 Ethernet card and software load is the network operating on?

Thanx!

Hi no there is no other circuit/s provisioned on any of the nodes

we are trying to use the STS3 on.  The network is running swoftware ver 04.10-003F-20.23 which is not supported and I do not want to attempt to upgrade the system with as little as I know of it.  We have had this system for 8 years and it has been rock solid, I feel like the maytag repair man as Ive only touched it a few times in all those years.

The interesting thing is when you drill into an OC3 card and look at the  'SONET STS' tab on the nodes that STS3 is available and works there are three entries, oen for each STS.  Whereas on nodes/OC3 cards where we cannot get traffic to pass on STS3, there are only two entries under that tab, for STS1 and STS2.  So its missing for some reason,  the telcos say STS3 is up and configured on their end and they say they are getting alarms from us on sts3.

So im wondering if somethign is turned off in the CLI of the box.

Thanks

~ Phil

Are the OC-3 ports in-service (IS)?  When viewing the Circuits view, what is shown under the Circuit tab?  Is the Circuit active?

What model Ethernet card are you using in the 15454?

It sounds like you are leasing an OC-3 circuit from a carrier and you have two 15454 nodes attached to this leased bandwidth.  Thus, you are creating two circuits, one for each end node... correct?

Are the OC-3 ports in-service (IS)?  YES

When viewing the Circuits view, what is shown under the Circuit tab?  Is the Circuit active? YES active state IS and Green

What model Ethernet card are you using in the 15454? E100T cards

It sounds like you are leasing an OC-3 circuit from a carrier and you have two 15454 nodes attached to this leased bandwidth.  Yes they are lite OC3 circuits.

Thus, you are creating two circuits, one for each end node... correct? Nope current network is:

5 - 15454 ring of OC3 between each of them.

STS1 is an Etherbridge group involving 2 E100T cards at each node, IE one for EAST and one for WEST

STS2 is used for T1 circuits

STS3 is only active with one Port to Port ethernet circuit between say nodes 1 and 2.  So what I am now trying to do is activie port to port ethernet circuits over the rest of the OC3 links between the other nodes so we can utilize the other 50 meg of bandwidth in the other direction around the ring.

Thanks

~ Phil

"STS3 is only active with one Port to Port ethernet circuit between say nodes 1 and 2.  So what I am now trying to do is activie port to port ethernet circuits over the rest of the OC3 links between the other nodes so we can utilize the other 50 meg of bandwidth in the other direction around the ring."

So you already have 1 circuit provisioned for the STS3, can you check was that circuit configured as protecetd STS3 by mistake instead of UNPROTECETD.  If earlier circuit is protecetd you cannot provision this one till the time you make that unprotected linear circuit. As you need 2 unprotected linear circuits one from node 1 to 2 and other in the reamaining ring which you want to use now.

Hi thanks for the idea, yes originally the circuit was originally configured as PROTECTED  I tore it down and rebuilt it as UNPROTECTED.

The issue appears to be on the OC3 cards under provisining - SONET STS tab.  The one that works I see STS3 listed here, and on the links that it doesnt work STS3 does not appear on this tab for those OC3 cards.

So even with the original circuit removed/deleted I cannot get a circuit working on the other links, and the only difference I see is that STS3 doesnt appear on this tab under the OC3 cards provisining.

So Im looking for info on how to get this STS3 active on the other OC3 nodes.

~ Phil

The SONET STS tab doesn't have anything to do with adding a circuit. That tab will show up once you are finally able to create an STS1 circuit in the third timeslot.

When you go to build the circuit, STS#3 is not an option correct? If there are no circuits shown in the Circuits tab for that STS#3 (VT or STS circuit), it's possible you have stranded bandwidth on that sts. In order to check for that you will need to retrieve the cross connects from TL1.

To login, telnet to the ip address of the node using port 3083. 'telnet 10.10.10.10 3083'

act-user::CISCO15:123::otbu+1;           CISCO15 for the username, otbu+1 for the password. Use a superuser account.

To retrieve all cross connects:

rtrv-crs::all:123;

Look through the output to see if there is a cross-connect built on that particular STS number. If there is a cross connect, it will need to be deleted. For example, let's say that I need to delete this cross connect:

"VT1-12-1-5-1-1,VT1-6-1-4-1-1:2WAY,VT1:CKTID=\"test_0009\":OOS-AU,AINS&FLT"

The command to delete this connection would be:

dlt-crs-vt1::vt1-12-1-5-1-1,vt1-6-1-4-1-1:123;

Hi rspell thanks for the response.  STS3 IS available to create a circuit and we ARE able to create it.  THe circuit shows green being build with STS3  BUT no traffic passes.  Our indication that something is wrong is we do not see STS3 populate on the SONET STS tab.

We have discovered that the ONE point to point STS circuit we have running between TWO nodes currently (we want to create P2Ps around the rest of the network on STS3) was configured WITH protection but there is NO protection group set up.  We are thinking somehow the database is corrupted in the other nodes and they THINK there STS3 is RESERVED for a protection group.

Is there any CLI commands we can run to check for that?  Any way to clear it without having to reset the TCC cards?

Thank You

~ Phil

Phil,

If you haven't reset the TCC card and gotten this to work, I think the best route to take would be to open a TAC case with the Optical group to look at this. It would be much easier via webex.

Rex

Hi Rex thanks but Cisco wont touch it because the code is out of support as is the TCC cards.

The system is to be replaced next year but I need to pump data over STS3 till the new network is in place.....

Thanks

~ Phil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: